SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: half decent headphones

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
edited February 2 in Studio & Rec £
I’m looking to get some half decent headphones for online jamming, so they don’t need to be particularly high quality. Looking for open back or semi open rather than closed back, and brand new rather than used. Any around or any recommendations for something you can get off Amazon for less than £100? Thanks. 
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1427
    Check ebay for some AKG K702's
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited February 1
    Check Sennheiser's UK refurb store: Outlet | Sennheiser (sennheiser-hearing.com)

HD599's at £59 is well worth it; also the HD569 (the closed-back equivalent) at £54 absolute steal :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    Audio technica AT M50h or however the letters go . I’ve got the 20s but the 50cc are very popular 
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    I got some pristine Audio technica AT M50 in case from Cash converters for £70 last year, they have 2 in stock
    https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/search-results?Sort=default&page=1&query=m50x&f[category][0]=all&f[locations][0]=all
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    I've gone through loads of headphones in the past and had a preference for Grado headphones for hifi use but they are on ear and some people find them uncomfortable for long term use. If you go for circumaural (which you probably should) then although slightly more than your budget then I'd recommend the Beyer Dynamic DT990 pros. You can get the 80ohm or 250ohm impedience versions depending on your use case and how you intend to drive them. I suspect you'll be looking for the less analytical 80ohm version if it's just for jamming. The 250ohm are more for studio mixing type stuff and may provide too much detail for ordinary listening. They are both around the same price. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• If you can nudge a bit past your 100 quid budget, I'd go with Beyerdynamic DT900s; they are meant for studio monitoring, which is a good thing if you are jamming with other people because you want to be sure what you are sending out is not being coloured by some super-duper enhancing headphones.

If that one ton price barrier is a hard limit, you can get either Sony MDR-7506 for around eighty quid, or Sony MDR-V6 for about the same price. The two models are essentially the same headphones in most respects, but with a bit more presence on the 7506 which is good for sorting out live audio, of the two, the MDR-6 would be the one I'd go for however, since they have a wider frequency range. Neither of them are the absolutely ideal mixing headphones however, because they do boost bass a tiny bit but if one is aware of that it can be compensated for.

But, if you have the cash to spare, I'd go for the DT900s.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Check Sennheiser's UK refurb store: Outlet | Sennheiser (sennheiser-hearing.com)

HD599's at £59 is well worth it; also the HD569 (the closed-back equivalent) at £54 absolute steal :) 
    Great prices at that Sennheiser outlet! 

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
    edited February 1
    robwright said:

HD599's at £59 is well worth it; also the HD569 (the closed-back equivalent) at £54 absolute steal  
    Great prices at that Sennheiser outlet! 
    Thanks all. They are good prices at the Sennheiser outlet store, although I believe it’s in Germany.

Edit! Ideally looking to buy brand new rather than used.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited February 1
    Refurbed is as good as new in my experience. £180 worth of headphones for £59 isn’t to be sniffed at!

Customs duty on the other hand..
    Edit: That outlet must be UK based. Shipping is free; 3 days by DHL
    Refurbed is as good as new in my experience. £180 worth of headphones for £59 isn’t to be sniffed at!

When I start going through checkout it says shipping is free by ‘international standard’, takes 4-11 days and no mention of DHL. As it said international I assumed it must be coming from Germany where Sennheiser is based and therefore possibly subject to an extra 26% in duty and VAT.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Price says inc VAT. Ordered 569 will report back when it arrives. 
  • Refurbed is as good as new in my experience. £180 worth of headphones for £59 isn’t to be sniffed at!

When I start going through checkout it says shipping is free by ‘international standard’, takes 4-11 days and no mention of DHL. As it said international I assumed it must be coming from Germany where Sennheiser is based and therefore possibly subject to an extra 26% in duty and VAT.
    Odd - I'll admit I was putting through the Momentum 4 Copper finish as I'm interested in replacing my older Sennheiser wireless headphones. Its possible that each headphone is located in a different part of Europe and they just ship 'em from whereever they are
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    569 arrived. No extra fees. Looks and feels brand new in original packaging. Thanks @colourofsound for the tip!
  • 569 arrived. No extra fees. Looks and feels brand new in original packaging. Thanks @colourofsound for the tip!
    No worries! As it happened one of my mates did the same and they also arrived today. Also brand new in appearance. Not bad for a such a massive discount! Enjoy!
    569 arrived. No extra fees. Looks and feels brand new in original packaging. Thanks @colourofsound for the tip!
    No worries! As it happened one of my mates did the same and they also arrived today. Also brand new in appearance. Not bad for a such a massive discount! Enjoy!
    I ordered the 599s, arrived promptly with no extra charges, boxed and they look just like new ones. Thanks for the tip.
  • I think Sennheiser should start paying me commission at this rate!