What are the pros and cons of 6 string basses?

What's Hot
CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 210
I'm considering buying a 6 string Ibanez bass which I tried out last year. It's an EHB1506ms multiscale headless bass tuned B to C. I only picked it up to try it in the shop as my friend was buying a guitar and it was already on a stand next to an amp with a cable plugged in so I thought I'd kill some time!

I found it relatively easy to play, but did get a little lost briefly due to the slanted frets and extra strings. However, it didn't feel like it was something I couldn't overcome with a few hours of practice. It sounded good, had flexible electronics and was very comfortable and lightweight to play.

I did have a Fender Custom Shop Bass VI for a while, which although was fun and sounded good, it felt like more of a guitar design adapted for lower strings than a dedicated bass instrument with extended range. The strings were too close together for the right hand to play comfortably.

I use a 5 string bass for one of the bands I play in anyway, so used to a low B. There are some recordings I do which benefit from the brighter sound of playing thinner bass strings lower down the neck (a sort of baritone guitar sound) which I can't get now the Bass VI is gone. I could also benefit from a lighter bass than my 5 string Stingray for when my back starts to ache towards the end of a gig.

What are people's experiences with 6 string basses tuned B to C?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24467
    I've had a couple. The best one was the EBMM Bongo 6.

Ultimately I just didn't use the C often enough or high enough to make it worth the extra weight to carry around.

I believe the lightest 6 string on the market is now the Sandberg Superlight TM6 - it's a custom order item. Oteil Burbridge had the first 6 and seems to love it. I think they are only about 9lb which is amazing for a 6.

The Fender Bass iv isn't really a bass. It's original job was to duplicate the regular bass, but played with a pick to get some attack in the note that early precisions with flats and limited amps just couldn't do.

Ultimately - are you going to use the C string enough? That what it comes down to really.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27140
    Pros - more notes

Cons - heavy, massive wide necks, usually look silly, not a P bass 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    To avoid the 6 string neck size I've had a stingray 5 tuned low DGCFBb (with custome gauges) for a few years to straddle a 6 string range and it sounds great. It just still messes with my brain when thinking out notes and keys.
    I'd consider a very narrow spaced 6 if there were such a thing.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2199
    edited February 1
    Isn't it tricky to control open strings from ringing on a 6 string, unless you use some sort of floating thumb technique?

I ask out of curiousity, as I'm just a guitarist who dabbles on bass and find it hard enough with a 5 string to mute all the open strings.

It's not a competition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72503
    And the Lord spake, saying, "Four shall be the Number of the Bass, and the Number of the Bass shall be Four. Four strings, Four beats, and Four notes. Five shalt thou not count, neither count thou three excepting that thou then proceed to Four. Six is right out.

- Book of Instruments, chapter one, verse four.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 210
    Pros - more notes

From a quick Google, the bass I'm looking at has been advertised as being under 8lb at 3 different shops so lighter than my 4 string Precision and Jazz and about the same as my Mustang, so weight is not an issue. The neck is wider, but I have played it and it felt fine.

So out of the cons, it's just that it looks silly and is not a P Bass and I can live with both as I look silly anyway and already have a P Bass.
    I've had a couple. The best one was the EBMM Bongo 6.

Ultimately I just didn't use the C often enough or high enough to make it worth the extra weight to carry around.

I believe the lightest 6 string on the market is now the Sandberg Superlight TM6 - it's a custom order item. Oteil Burbridge had the first 6 and seems to love it. I think they are only about 9lb which is amazing for a 6.

The Fender Bass iv isn't really a bass. It's original job was to duplicate the regular bass, but played with a pick to get some attack in the note that early precisions with flats and limited amps just couldn't do.

Ultimately - are you going to use the C string enough? That what it comes down to really.

I may find I don't use the C enough either, but there are an increasing number of songs where there are parts higher up the neck that I struggle with when sight reading because of the jump between positions. I could practice more or learn the songs I suppose instead!

The Ibanez EHB is under 8lb (according to 3 different shops online) so lighter than the Sandberg. As it's headless and lightweight, it should be easier to carry around as a backup to my main bass which also appeals to me... although I could just opt for the 5 string version which would be lighter.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5780
    edited February 1
    Pros - more notes

So out of the cons, it's just that it looks silly and is not a P Bass and I can live with both as I look silly anyway and already have a P Bass.
    You’ll be telling us you play above the fifth fret next. Bloody hooligans
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2289
    Pros: 6 strings 
    Cons: 6 strings 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12927
    Pros - more notes

From a quick Google, the bass I'm looking at has been advertised as being under 8lb at 3 different shops so lighter than my 4 string Precision and Jazz and about the same as my Mustang, so weight is not an issue. The neck is wider, but I have played it and it felt fine.

The muting thing is a real consideration. The more strings you have, the harder you have to work to avoid unwanted noises, strings ringing, etc. If you're not using the sixth string then you're much better off without it.

I'm also very surprised at the claims of an 8lb six string but stranger things have happened. 

I wouldn't underestimate the "looks silly" thing. People will judge you for having a six string headless bass, particularly if you're playing "normal" rock/indie/covers and not jazz fusion. Now, you might not give a fuck and that would be a healthy attitude but people (soundmen, punters, producers, new band mates at auditions) will absolutely make a thing of it so you should be prepared. That's a story state of affairs but it's also a reality. 

• Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 279
    You are only getting 5 more semitones compared with a 5 string.  The difference is that if you have the technique for it, you will do less changes of position, and thus play more fluid lines, because you have a wider range of notes under your hand.  

I tried a good 6 string for a couple of days, but found the neck width a bit of a struggle. 

I find 4 strings a bit restrictive, but they were good enough for Jaco, so who cares what I think. 

I find 4 strings a bit restrictive, but they were good enough for Jaco, so who cares what I think. 
    I hate that argument.

3 strings were good enough for Bottesini! *

* Although, TBF, the 4th string was added to the double bass because of him.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Forget about the looks, nobody in the audience gives a toss what you play. They see you playing a guitar shaped thing so you are another guitar player in the band. If you like the bass, buy it and enjoy it. You don’t need tFB approval to think differently.........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Dunno I’ve only ever used four strings.
    Dunno I’ve only ever used four strings.
    I played 5 for years but now always seem to pick a 4.

Slightly silly really as my last band was a big band and when playing in all flat keys because of the transposing instruments made a 5 string really useful.
    These are all useful insights, so thanks for the replies. I must admit that I am slightly conscious of the looks. I've been to gigs and concerts myself where having the 'right' instrument and back line have added to the visual experience for me. However, I think that generally the gigs I'm currently playing fall under Rocker's perspective that nobody in the audience gives a toss what I'm playing.

Secret_Sam hit the nail on the head for me I think for the reasons to try it. It doesn't extend the range that much, but does simplify playing in terms of reducing position changes.

I think I will probably buy one soon and then I will see what I think. However, what is apparent so far is that nobody recommends it, so I probably am making the wrong decision to get one. The model I'm after very rarely comes up for sale used though, which seems to suggest that players who have one are happy with them. All very contradictory!

Thanks again though and I will provide an update if I find one.
    You could get a cheap used one and see what you think for a while.

I'm not one for being bothered about looks in the slightest but the Bongo 6 did look a bit silly on me. I'm 5ft9in and although my history as a prop forward is obvious (ahem) it did look a bit silly on me.

I agree that it's often not just about the range of the instrument, it's about having more choices for fingering.

I've had some very expensive 5 strings in the past but currently only have a cheap Ibby 5 string. But one day I'd like to find a Stingray Special that is light enough for me. I love the Stingray 5 neck shape and the 17.5mm bridge string spacing.

They have gone mad on their pricing these days though.

If you are soloing a lot, or playing modern jazz that uses a lot more range then go for it! If you are buying used you hopefully won't lose any money if you don't like it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72503
    I wouldn't underestimate the "looks silly" thing. People will judge you for having a six string headless bass, particularly if you're playing "normal" rock/indie/covers and not jazz fusion. Now, you might not give a fuck and that would be a healthy attitude but people (soundmen, punters, producers, new band mates at auditions) will absolutely make a thing of it so you should be prepared. That's a story state of affairs but it's also a reality. 
    There's definitely a risk of it being perceived as jazz-funk wankery one-upmanship just to own one. That's not *necessarily* a reason not to have one... although actually using it for that kind of thing is still punishable by excommunication in many musical circles. I have to admit that if I went to see any other type of band and the bassist was using a 6, I would be deeply suspicious - even a 5 is pushing it... although I do understand why, especially in a keyboard-based band where going down to the low C can be very handy.

Disclaimer - I owned a 5-string for about three years. In my case I find 6s and most 5s more or less unplayable due to the width of the fingerboard and the string spacing - mine was unusual in that it was quite narrow - but I have small hands, so my bass style is based more on hand movement than reaches anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToastHatToastHat Frets: 6
    edited February 14
    I had 6 string bass a long time ago, some ESP LTD model. I was never happy with the low B string's sound (probably fixed by multi scale and/or better pickups) but my real issue was I could never find a tuning that made sense to me: B to C is simple but it was annoying to me to have the highest and lowest strings differ by a semitone only. Going B to B fixes that but then you leave your G alone (so you have the equivalent of a 7 string guitar without the top E) or do you switch your G to a Gb (so you have the equivalent of a 6 string guitar in B standard?). All of those combinations broke my brain.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    The difference is that if you have the technique for it, you will do less changes of position, and thus play more fluid lines, because you have a wider range of notes under your hand.  
    This is precisely my argument against five and six string basses.*

The easier it is to play a song almost entirely at one fret position, the less "shape" it has to help me commit to memory. (I can't sight read. So, shoot me.) 

For me, the moves that are necessary to get around the fingerboard on a four string bass guitar make the music more enjoyable to play.

* For full disclosure, I own one five-string bass guitar. It sees very little use. I probably ought to sell it on.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.