Live Band PA

What's Hot
LawrocksLawrocks Frets: 0
Hi Everyone, I’m looking for a bit of advice please. I play guitar and sing in a three piece rock covers band playing about 30 pub gigs a year and the odd gig outside and wedding / corporate type. Up until now we’ve been using 2x Alto TS212 just for vocals but I’ve recently started putting my guitar through as well. I feel the kick is often getting lost and lacking probably over powered by the bass guitar. So I’m looking for advice please on a new PA option purely for vocals, kick drum and guitar. I like the look and transport ease of the column array PAs like the ES 1203, but would they be suitable for our needs? Or would it be better to get some 12” subs to go with our existing tops? Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    You'll certainly need a sub/subs to handle the kick drum effectively.

Whether it's better to get a sub to go with your existing TS212s, or a new system with a sub is not an easy question to answer. I've not used the ES 1203, but it looks OK. HK Audio Elements is pretty good gear. I have a HK Audio Linear 5 system, which is very good, but not easy to transport (2 x L2000 Subs !)

Is there anywhere near to you that hires gear? You could hire the gear you're considering and actually try it out!

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  I would just add a sub and probably a 15 as opposed to a 12, definitely not an 18 as you are looking for punch not sub. 

You won’t gain anything by replacing your existing system with a column set up, and Ann extra sub is by far the cheaper option as you will need 2 xES1203  about 2 grands worth   .
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    I use a couple of these with dxr8's

https://www.andertons.co.uk/live-pa/pa-systems/subwoofers/elx200-12sp-12-powered-subwoofer

Tight and punchy compared to my other option which is Dynacord A15's which sound bigger but a little bit flabby in comparison.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I have a couple of 1x10 powered EVs which handle vocals well and do about half our venues adequately. We have a quite drummer that is quite technical and dynamic but we needed some umph sometimes. I've added a quality single 15 powered sub which still fits in the car. It is enough for most gigs, the bigger stuff is hired in or already there for festivals etc. 
    On paper I should have two subs to match the power of the tops but reality is proving different, we are not a thumping loud band, typically my HRD combo is no more that 4 and that's not quiet.
  • HoarasaurusHoarasaurus Frets: 110
    I've had a ES-1203 system for a year now, and used it with full bands, at weddings with 300 guests to small outside festival stages. In my expererience it's 2x12 sub is more than capable of dealing with the lowend, and th 2.4kW peak puts plenty of volume out. They're Ply cabinets, so very robust. I just bought separate speaker stands to have the tops in sterro. That it comes with good padded cases is a bonus too. 
    Lots of Nice Guitars, and not enough pedals!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    We're using the Alto TX315 actives without a sub and the 15" speakers handle bass and kick absolutely fine along with the rest of the band. We're only playing pubs though, so if you're playing someone bigger then a dedicated sub might be the best option.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Simplest to just add a single sub and keep using your tops unless you have plenty cash and wish to buy a whole new system.
    The 15 inch alto sub would do the job. 

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Alto-Professional-TS15S-15-Active-PA-Subwoofer/5UAC
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Yes, I would just get a sub - you don't really need two, as they're so undirectional, although two gives you backup and a support for the second top cab as well, with just a pole rather than a stand. For kick drum and even bass a sub is almost essential unless the tops are really big - the low-frequency transients will suck a lot of power and headroom from the top cabs unless they're operating far below their maximum performance, and it's just better in every way (other than being an extra thing to carry) to keep them separate. It also gives you the flexibility of not bothering with the sub if you need to play a very small venue where the kick doesn't need the reinforcement.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom