Attenuator

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24381
    I thought the Hot Plate was very amp dependent for tone suck.

But the Mini Mass I had was excellent with everything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72419
    I thought the Hot Plate was very amp dependent for tone suck.
    Very much so.

But the Mini Mass I had was excellent with everything.
    But oddly I found it mediocre with everything.

Just goes to show that it’s most likely user-dependent as well…

I’ve long since lost count of the number of people I’ve heard say that they tried one attenuator with one amp, didn’t like it, and so now think all attenuators suck tone with all amps - it’s really much more complex than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited February 17
    bertie said:
    NelsonP said:
    I've got a thd hot plate. It has bright and deep switches which remove the blanket over the amp thing pretty well.

ditto, but I wouldnt put the hotplate in the "cheap" bracket

TBH  all the "cheap -er"  attenuators Ive had  [Weber mini mass and a Dr Z brake lite] have been fine

True. You can get them for around £150 second hand though, so they aren't too spendy.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    relic245 said:
    ICBM said:
    No, they don’t all suck tone like that. It’s unfortunate that the HB does, and without looking inside one I don’t know why.
    I have the hb one and thought it was rather good.

Then again I'm using it to take the edge off rather than tame a beast to be bedroom levels.
    I have the Jettenuator (basically the same as the HB one) and it's a very useful tool to have around, although it knocks off a minimum of 3dB as soon as you plug it in and does kill the sparkle on some amps. 

It's not bad with my Marshall Origin, excellent with my Session 5E3-Extra and my JCA 20H, pretty drab with an HRD and truly terrible with a Princeton Reverb. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    I suspect they are very dependent on the amp. I usually run my Laney with treble and tone at 3/4 so not much room to adjust to more brightness.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited February 18
    fnpt said:
    @Dave_Mc My thoughts exactly. I must now resist the idea of entering the rabid hole of attenuators...
    LOL
    ICBM said:
    No, they don’t all suck tone like that. It’s unfortunate that the HB does, and without looking inside one I don’t know why.
    It does seem to be a bit amp dependent, too, like some of the other ones mentioned. Though it may just be the output wattage, too... I've got a feeling the ones it sounded better with were 5 watters...

ICBM said:

Just goes to show that it’s most likely user-dependent as well…

I’ve long since lost count of the number of people I’ve heard say that they tried one attenuator with one amp, didn’t like it, and so now think all attenuators suck tone with all amps - it’s really much more complex than that.
    That sounds like it'll get expensive very quickly!

(I suspect it's user-dependent, too. It felt like the "feel" was off with the HB one, as well. But again, that was worse with some amps than others...)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3879
    While we're on attenuators, which one works best with a 5E3?
    Lebarque said:
    Dr. Z Brake Lite. Stupidly overpriced for what it is, and I seriously doubt it will handle a 45W amp as claimed, but that’s fine with a 5E3.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3879
    ICBM said:
    Lebarque said:
    Dr. Z Brake Lite. Stupidly overpriced for what it is, and I seriously doubt it will handle a 45W amp as claimed, but that’s fine with a 5E3.
    Interesting. I had one of those with a Princeton Reverb RI ages ago and didn't rate it with that amp.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1440
    I've been using an 'Elevenator' https://motomusic.co.uk/products/gas-effects-elevenator-amplifier-attenuator-8-ohm-50-watts

I've used it on a 68 ri princeton and a 65 ri deluxe reverb. Seems to do a nice job. 
    Lebarque said:

Interesting. I had one of those with a Princeton Reverb RI ages ago and didn't rate it with that amp.
    It seems best on amps with no NFB.

There must surely be a decent equivalent that isn’t so wildly overpriced too… although I haven’t looked really.