New Amp/pedal day

What's Hot
FezFez Frets: 525
Is it an amp or a pedal? Well its both its a Laney loudpedal.
Initial thoughts sounds great with a 2x12 loaded with V30's.
Loads more things to try yet so more details to follow in the fullness of time.

Don't touch that dial.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'm so into these things, I should get one for sure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    I still have a few things to try but I took the loud pedal to rehearsal on Wednesday and ran it though a 70/80 loaded cab single 16ohm so loud pedal making 30 watts. Had a spark mini boost, phaser and delay in the loop. The guys said it sounded great I thought it did so I am happy with that though for a gig I would take the 2x12 cab.

Last night put a strat through the loud pedal with a mini hypergravity in front of the loud pedal flashback and viscous vibe in the loop into the 2x12 HB with v30's and it sounded awesome.

I have also used it to record a track into reaper and that worked well too.

Does it sound like a valve? Well it's close it has a little of that solid state "dryness" to the sound and it may be a little more tiring to listen to for long periods that a sweet EL34 based amp in the same way CD'S are compared to vinyl.

Still to try - Using it as a drive pedal. Into the PA.

Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1131
    That's interesting. I've got an Orange Stamp Terror on the way which I'm looking forward to trying. It'll probably only ever be a backup though in case one of my "real" amps goes down.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    I've said this before, but the guitarist in the band I play bass in got one a couple of months back - initially for convenience at rehearsals, since we now can't park at the studio, and carrying his valve head from a couple of streets away became a pain - and it's been an absolute revelation. It sounds so good he's actually decided to just sell the valve amp.

No, it doesn't sound *exactly* like the valve amp - which was a Laney LA30BL, so voiced similarly - but it's in the same ballpark. It does have a bit of that 'solid state dryness' as Fez said, a slight gritty hardness to the sound when you hear it on its own, but that goes away in a band mix and it just sounds great. It doesn't take fuzz pedals *quite* as well as the valve one, but it's fine with distortion and boost. It has slightly more clean headroom than the 30W valve amp, but probably isn't quite as loud fully cranked, if that makes sense - both amps into the same cab, an 8-ohm Marshall 2x12" with G12H-30s. I tried measuring the power output, but it didn't like the dummy load and scope arrangement I used so it was difficult to get an accurate reading, but it seemed to be around 50W clean and 60W fully overdriven - it limits quite heavily once it reaches clipping. (On the plus side, the fact that it shut itself down when it didn't like the dummy load tends to indicate it's well-protected against too low impedance loads and/or shorts.)

We haven't tried it into the PA yet, but should at some point since if it sounds OK it then becomes even more useful if he can't take his own cab either.

It's astoundingly fully-featured as well as good-sounding for the price. I had a quick look inside to see if I could learn anything about the build quality, but you can't get further than taking the bottom cover off without voiding the warranty (screws with the usual red resin on them), so I left it at that - the PCB looks decent enough though, and it's all very neatly assembled.

He likes it so much he's probably going to get another one as a backup, just in case - since the downside of being so flexible is that there's a risk of putting all the eggs in the same basket if something goes wrong (or with its power supply) - but even two together are far smaller, lighter and cheaper than any decent comparable valve head.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    It is a great feature set also they haven't overcooked it by adding things like tuners (fly rig I'm looking at you) that aren't required. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    I will have to try a fallout cloud infront of it then.
    Don't touch that dial.
    Tried the Loudpedal as a distortion into a clean valve amp (Marshall Origin 20) and it was pretty good not quite as good as a Gunshot for instance but useable.
    Also tried a Fallout cloud in front of it and I agree with ICBM fuzz in front of the Loudpedal isn't quite right.

Don't touch that dial.
    As mentioned in the FX thread show your non modeler ampless rigs I tried some drive pedals in front of the loudpedal.
    First up Tube screamer mini - OK ish but not glorious.
    Thorpy Gunshot better, needed the calibre up a bit.
    The surprise was a Boss DS1 which sounded really good
    Boss SD1 OK useable.
    Humbuckers seem to work better than single coils.

The loudpedal itself is great with single coils.
    Don't touch that dial.