The usual bullshit, ILok and PACE.

Something has happened with an update.
Or I'm just going crazy with old age.
Trying to stay up to date on my Windows laptop, using Slate / SSL plugin suite.
I quite liked the merger between Slate ( which required an Ilok ) and the free SSL bundle which got added, (didn't require ILok),which meant I could use stuff like the SSL channel strip, and the drum bus plugin on my lappy, without having to use my ILok plugged in.
So now, suddenly, after doing a few updates, I have to reboot to get my headphones to work, and any project with SSL plugs on it will not open in Reaper, without going into settings to make PACE software run.

I have a degree in music production, and am well used to Apple v Microsoft crap, and this ILok stuff just gets so boring.
I can quite happily listen to my stuff (Reaper projects, and MP3 via Foobar, on the speakers, on my Dell laptop ) until I plug in headphones, to try and hear it properly, then I have to reboot, and go into settings to just hear anything, and then the PACE license stuff suddenly starts to happen.
It's almost as if, somebody doesn't want us to make music anymore.
I'll get all this working, for now, and then next time, I'll have to remember what exactly I just did, just to get it back to how it was---just because I plugged in headphones.
Is it Dell, PACE, Windows, Slate/SSL, or Cockos??
Who knows, I just know it makes me sick

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Problem solved,
     I'm just going to give up and practice pentatonics.
    Who needs to record and mix music these days anyway, its all been done, and I can listen to it all on my phone.
    The only one to blame, out of the list above, is myself, for trying to make it all work together nicely, while trusting updates.
    Too many variables, must remember to fossilise it when it works.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 690
    Can't add anything really, other than to sympathise with your plight. It's bloody annoying when that happens. Perhaps this is an opportunity to try some different tooling ?
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Have you tried calling SSL Support?
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    edited February 3
    Dell, if I recall correctly, used to use a strange driver app within which you could configure the audio outputs for different scenarios.  I can't remember what it's called, but that's worth looking into.  Are you using the Dell Windows build?

Let me know the laptop model and I'll gladly do some digging