Playing the Highland Bagpipes

What's Hot
Has anyone on here learned to play the Highland bagpipes. I've never played anything like a recorder or anything with holes in it before. This may actually be and advantage because the lower hand of the bagpipes covers the holes using the flats of the middle of the fingers rather than the tips. The top three holes are played with the finger tips. I've bought myself a practice chanter (proper hole spacing for bagpipes) to get started. How difficult are the bagpipes to learn? There's only 9 notes on what I think is based on the Mixolydian scale so imagine it's less daunting that I imagined it might be. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3722
    “A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes but chooses not to.” Anon

Seriously, good luck. They can sound great when played well. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1975
    drofluf said:
    “A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes but chooses not to.” Anon

Seriously, good luck. They can sound great when played well. 
    That's a great quote. Obviously I'm in the pro camp. I actually like the sound of bagpipes but imagine played badly could clear a room quite quickly. If you've stood next to somebody playing them they are LOUD. In fact I think they are the loudest non-amplified instrument which is why even some pipers wear earplugs and not because they can't stand the racket they are producing. 

Ian

edited February 3
    Well the first day went OK. I can play up and down the scale with the crossing fingerings without double notes and started on the grace notes. Any of you Scots on here play them? I'm using the Green Book for those in the know. 

Ian

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    Devil#20 said:
    Well the first day went OK. I can play up and down the scale with the crossing fingerings without double notes and started on the grace notes. Any of you Scots on here play them? I'm using the Green Book for those in the know. 
    You’re not even Scottish!!! My old man played a bit , hell of a volume once there up and running
    mgaw said:
    Devil#20 said:
    You’re not even Scottish!!! My old man played a bit , hell of a volume once there up and running
    Where did I say I wasn't Scottish?

Ian

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    Thank fuck for that
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 303
    A few years ago, was given a couple of tickets to see the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.  Right at the front, by the stage, it was a surprisingly fun filled evening. 

Good luck with the practise. Who knows where it might lead.