Eb-

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
I did my ten minutes of actually picking up a guitar earlier. I was trying to follow a jam/backing thing which has a chord chart. There’s a bar of Eb followed by a bar of Eb- and I genuinely don’t know what the - is supposed to represent. It’s not minor because they use m elsewhere. Could just be repeat but then why type out Eb-. 
Ta. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    Eb minor = Eb-
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    CaseOfAce said:
    Eb minor = Eb-
    My ears should pick it up really, maybe they’ve just been inconsistent in how they mark things. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited February 3
    Old fashioned notation. Minus. Minor. 

You don’t see it that much any more, at least I don’t. 

Odd that they use m elsewhere though. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    viz said:

You don’t see it that much any more, at least I don’t. 

You do in country music circles, in Nashville notation you'll see it as 2- for a Dm in the key of C.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah yes, nice 1. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    It's a bit outdated now, with the advent of the iReal and ForScore apps (and similar) not so many chord charts getting scribbled on the back of beer mats as there used to be.

Little triangle (or delta) symbol usually means major 7 chord too (sometimes just major, but usually major 7).

Some we seem to have carried over though, like the little circle for diminished 7th, circle with the line through for half diminished, and the plus sign for augmented. 
    Good stuff. I personally think + would have been better for major (to match - for minor) and Delta or ^ for augmented. 
  • viz said:
    Good stuff. I personally think + would have been better for major (to match - for minor) and Delta or ^ for augmented. 
    Yeah, but surely ^ is for 'power' chords...amirite?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    viz said:
    No, that’s written:

E!!! A!!! B!!!

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    viz said:
    No, that’s written:

E!!! A!!! B!!!

I dunno...looks pretty dominant to me ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom