Removing nitro finish from back and sides of a LP Studio

What's Hot
Hi there, I have a vintage sunburst LP Studio which has black back. A guy here has refinished his LP Modern and I really liked the idea of having the wood visible on the back and sides and started to think how to go about it.

I saw this video, where the finish is warmed up and simply cut off. 

This method looks a lot quicker and safer then using acetone so I think I can do it. I'm wondering if anyone tried this method or can comment on the type of blade used?

Finally, would I need sanding before applying oil?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's just a thin scalpel blade used to cut and get under the finish so he can get started. Any Swann Morton scalpel handle and some blades would do the job.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Finish doesn't just peel off like that usually, and will generally need a bit of sanding to clean up.
    I stripped a black LP studio to natural once, and had success with nitomors paint stripper applied carefully.
    There is a video somewhere of an Epi Bonamassa firebird being stripped with heat and a scraper-makes quite a painful watch.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    andy_k said:
    Finish doesn't just peel off like that usually
    As someone who has stripped many, many modern plasticised Gibson finishes I can assure you, they do. Makes life much easier for me tbh. Finish sanding with 240 and 320 paper and you’re good to go.

But, it depends how old the OPs guitar in question is. Their stuff, for the most part, comes off like a vinyl car wrap. Older stuff? You might just be able to sand it off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    andy_k said:
    As someone who has stripped many, many modern plasticised Gibson finishes I can assure you, they do. Makes life much easier for me tbh. Finish sanding with 240 and 320 paper and you’re good to go.

But, it depends how old the OPs guitar in question is. Their stuff, for the most part, comes off like a vinyl car wrap. Older stuff? You might just be able to sand it off.
    Hey, thanks for replying.

It's a 2018 guitar, and your feedback aligns with what I also heard from other people.

The only concern left is cutting it on the sides and avoid the front peeling off as well. In the video, the guitar has a bound body and it stopped the top finish from peeling.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    NCo said:
    andy_k said:

Hey, thanks for replying.

It's a 2018 guitar, and your feedback aligns with what I also heard from other people.

The only concern left is cutting it on the sides and avoid the front peeling off as well. In the video, the guitar has a bound body and it stopped the top finish from peeling.
    I would try and take a sharp blade around the side/edge of where you want to peel up to and use that as a border so that when you heat the finish it should come off where the indentation is from the blade. Sounds good in theory.. the reality may be different however 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    Heat gun?!! That's way too professional, I stripped my 2012 LP nitro just by sticking gaffa tape to it and pulling it off. :)

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    edited February 5
    ^ Jzz..

(Note to self - don't even  think about using even the smallest bit of sellotape/gaffa-tape/gorilla-tape / anyfkn-tape for anything on any guitar for any reason, ever.. )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    tFB Trader
    I recently refinished the neck of a bass because a roadie put gaffer tape on the neck and on taking it off had removed a strip of finish.
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 60
    edited February 29
    I used Acetone and plenty of clean rag and elbow grease! The original finish just wipes away.