NAD. TAD 5e3

What's Hot
KurasKuras Frets: 72
edited February 4 in Amps
Hi all

I purchased a TAD 5e3 from an independent shop in Frome. It was a completely unplanned purchase which I’m pleased to say has been worthwhile. 

This is my first Tweed amp and I’m loving it so far. This replica seems to have all the idiosyncrasies than the tweed Deluxe is known for, it’s pretty much on full volume after 3, the controls are all interactive and the inputs all sound very different. 

It’s such a great circuit, the dynamics are incredible and a guitars character really shines through. The clarity and depth is quite something. 

The Celestion Blue it came with really works too. Sounds quite different to the stock Deluxes with Jensen speakers. Bloody loud though!

https://imgur.com/gallery/MtYdwlF

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7798
    Nice choice they really are dirty and fun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7933
    5E3’s really are very special.  

They grumpy buggers, but life without is just not complete. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9608
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9608
    Classic timeless looks - congrats !
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Nice.

I have a Neo Creamback mine which I really like, but going to try a blue at some point.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Very cool. How is the power scaling?

I built a clone of one in Autumn 2022, and honestly I don't use it loads but when it's the right amp for the job it's a thing of beauty.
  • KurasKuras Frets: 72
    @Cirrus I took it out of the circuit almost immediately!
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    What didn’t you like about the power scaling? I built my own 5E3 and then modded it to add the standard Dana Hall VVR circuit to scale the whole amp. From Lazy J gut shots it appears he’s copied the same circuit as his “VAC” power control and also scales the whole amp. I find it very effective for dropping the volume but keeping the tone. Most gigs I’ve got the power backed down - with a Celestion blue it’s a loud amp.  
  • Love my 5e3 clone…just awesome little amps
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • KurasKuras Frets: 72
    @springhead It didn't sound great. My tech told me the power scaling was fitted in a place where it would suck the tone whilst quietening down the amp. It's not my kind of thing. I use good quality OD pedals for break up.