Vintage Martin acoustic destroyed on the set of a Quentin Tarantino movie...

What's Hot
CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1336
edited February 5 in Acoustics
145 year old / 1870s parlor - smashed by mistake by Kurt Russell on the set of The Hateful Eight.

Martin were not best pleased when they found out..

"Music time's over": The sad story of the 145-year-old Martin acoustic that Kurt Russell destroyed on Quentin Tarantino's orders | MusicRadar
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18767
    This was in 2016 wasn't it?
    I reckon the NAMM display of the wreckage has rejuvenated the story.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    edited February 5
    Fucking twats.

When an actor falls of a building or is shot, they don't actually fall off a building or get shot. They use fake bullets and stunt people. 

Why did they have such an instrument on a film set? No-one is going to know it's a genuine thing. 

It's make believe. Use a fake from start to finish.

This, despite being old news, make me think that Tarrantino is a real fucking dick. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    It was a great film so alls well that ends well 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4212
    merlin said:
    Fucking twats.

When an actor falls of a building or is shot, they don't actually fall off a building or get shot. They use fake bullets and stunt people. 

Why did they have such an instrument on a film set? No-one is going to know it's a genuine thing. 

This, despite being old news, make me think that Tarrantino is a real fucking dick. 
    I read that he wanted a real reaction of horror on her face and so let it roll. He was also quoted as saying that Martin weren't bothered at all and asked if they wanted another one (but he's legendarily full of it so who knows....)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    8 year old news story has to be a record, even for this place! :D 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1336
    edited February 5
    8 year old news story has to be a record, even for this place! D 
    Not for me! I'd never heard the story before - and I bet there's other's on here too who are not familiar with it. I remember the scene in the movie.

It's come up again cos of the recent NAMM display.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10426
    tFB Trader
    It has cynical publicity stunt written all over it ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    edited February 5
    I'm disappointed a restoration hasn't happened yet.  The longer it takes the harder it gets to do a good job.  Pieces that would have fit right back together 8 years ago will need more work now.

it's not even one you would need to make invisible.  The scars could show the story, whilst still having a playable antique instrument

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 139
    Lewy said:
    merlin said:
    Fucking twats.

I read that he wanted a real reaction of horror on her face and so let it roll. He was also quoted as saying that Martin weren't bothered at all and asked if they wanted another one (but he's legendarily full of it so who knows....)

Allegedly that was their initial reaction when they thought it was damaged in an accident; less so once they heard the full story. Martin are making hay out of it anyway. Probably worth at least as much now with the added story!

Side note but if I'm honest I've never heard anything about Tarantino that DIDN'T make me think he sounds like a dick. He can't be a total psychopath if people keep going back to work with him, but he's at the stage of success where there aren't too many natural braking factors on your worst aspects.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3454
    This stinks of 'insurance job' , there is no way that could happen.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Given the historical accuracy of most movies, I'm surprised it wasn't a '54 Strat.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    That’s a shame.

They probably couldn’t afford a new one!

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    It's just a piece of wood and some metal bits added on. They've made plenty since.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7229
    The insistence on using real props on their movie sets went a little better for Tarrantino than it did for Alec Baldwin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Lewy said:

She's an actor. Acting is her job. If he doesn't like her perfornance, then why didn't he book someone else. He's still a twat. 
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    edited February 6
    Might be old news but at least after 8 years they've been able to rebuild it...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    This stinks of 'insurance job' , there is no way that could happen.
    *Alec Baldwin enters chat*
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1105
    Why did they need a really old guitar on that set?

Surely in 1877 when the movie is set the guitar would have looked new?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    It's just a piece of wood and some metal bits added on. They've made plenty since.
    I agree. I dunno why all these museums are full of old pots when you can buy a perfectly good dinner set in big Tesco.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    I grew up in a house that had 1880 on the front of it. It's been ruined since but that thing is still there.

I'm sad that one of my favourite actors did that, but understand that it happened under the the direction of a bellend funded by the weinstein company.

To think that I once enjoyed tarantino films makes me feel a bit sick.