Removing 70s /80s poly without removing any original wood

What's Hot
Hi folks
I have a guitar that has some refin from 70s/ 80s and i want to remove the poly and refin in nitro. Whats the best way to remove it . I dont want to remove any of the wood 
if its chemical stripper what is the best one/ method ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3711
    I used a hot air gun and scraper to take the poly off my Baja Telecaster. Was surprisingly easy, think I'd got most of it off in half an hour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 118
    Thats Helpful, thanks mate 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    I removed the finish on a late 70s Musicmaster using Superdrugs extra strong nail varnish remover and a microfiber cloth, took a couple hours to rub it all off , that was after attacking it with a heat Gun which did sod all....  
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039
    tFB Trader
    JD50 said:
    I removed the finish on a late 70s Musicmaster using Superdrugs extra strong nail varnish remover and a microfiber cloth, took a couple hours to rub it all off , that was after attacking it with a heat Gun which did sod all....  
    You'll have been left with the sealer coat then, or was it a refinish? 
    JD50 said:

Correct, still have sealer coat
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    JD50 said:
    The sealer coat is where the fun starts :D
  • ALRALR Frets: 122
    I refinished a 1997 Squier YN Series Strat last year and had to remove all the poly. As described above, I removed the majority of it with a heat gun, but eventually used a Random Orbital Sander and some sandpaper up to (I think) 320 grit to get every last trace of the old finish off (except for cavities). It's a little more work but I think the results are worth it.

There's a 3 part Stewmac series about refinishing with aerosols which I followed pretty much to the letter. It took a long time and was a lot of work, but the results were definitely worth it!
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
    JD50 said:
    The sealer coat is where the fun starts :D
    The sealer coat is clear, so guess you can spray over the top