More Gibson insanity....

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2343
edited February 6 in Guitar
We can try to make excuses or reasoning behind SOME price increases....but £550 extra for a Les Paul Studio?!

£1449 vs £1999 for the 'new' version.

Gibson USA Les Paul Modern Studio Electric Guitar in Wine Red Satin - Andertons Music Co.

Gibson USA Les Paul Studio in Wine Red - Andertons Music Co.

It is now 'Modern'. Ebony board+cutaway. No longer gloss, it is satin. Wow. Such upgrades.

These don't look than much more than the LP Tributes that were £600 not that long ago!
1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Profit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    £2k for a Les Paul Studio?

Guitar inflation is crazy.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10875
    edited February 6 tFB Trader
    Glad I got mine when I did .... 

Just noticed ... it's got Grovers and a shavey-down neck heel ... that explains it    :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    We can try to make excuses or reasoning behind SOME price increases....but £550 extra for a Les Paul Studio?!

Gibson USA Les Paul Modern Studio Electric Guitar in Wine Red Satin - Andertons Music Co.

It is now 'Modern'. Ebony board+cutaway. No longer gloss, it is satin. Wow. Such upgrades.

These don't look than much more than the LP Tributes that were £600 not that long ago!

Arguably the most guitar forum post ever.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:

Arguably the most guitar forum post ever.
    That would be because it's on a guitar forum ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    ...............loads of stuff.................................donkey..........................and the wee baby jesus
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When they’re knocking out Epiphones for £1500 the Gibson prices are going be huge and just for the basic models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 110
    The new cutaway looks really ugly. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23342
    For some reason I'm reminded of those Head & Shoulders adverts where someone sees the shampoo bottle in the guy's bag and says "I didn't know you had dandruff"... and the guy replies "I don't".

"I can't believe Epiphones now cost as much as a lower-end Gibson."

"They don't."

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    When they’re knocking out Epiphones for £1500 the Gibson prices are going be huge and just for the basic models. 

When these are £460 ... why in in hell would you buy Epiphone, much less Gibson?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1327
    I'm soooooo up for this...
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2443
    With this move, I think the Tribute now fulfils the niche that the Studio originally filled - no frills, all the same basic construction and tones and none of the fancy stuff. I say that, but they do have a maple neck instead of mahogany, but that's about it.

Yet even the humble Tribute now has a list price of £1,249. 
    https://www.gibson.com/en-GB/Electric-Guitar/USAANM97/Satin-Tobacco-Burst

I think all this does is increase the depreciation you'll face if you buy one new - the used market is very used to Tributes being around £600, Studios under a grand, Classics in the lower half of a grand and Standards in the upper half up to two grand.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a nice colour, but zoom in on the picture of the headstock and first few frets, then look at the construction and fretboard finishing near the fret ends and the nut; it's welll ropey, and that's the guitar they picked for the photographs. Can you imagine how shitty the ones they passed over must look?
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 855
    Gibson are just pushing to see if anyones head does actually...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 350
    edited February 6

£1449 vs £1999 for the 'new' version.

Lee is buying a new mansion?
  • edited February 6

Nah, I wish they'd hurry up and go out of business. Gibson has more than had its fifteen minutes of fame; everyone who has ever wanted a Les Paul (to actually play) has got one, so they just need to feck off now.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 6 tFB Trader

Nah, I wish they'd hurry up and go out of business. Gibson has more than had its fifteen minutes of fame; everyone who has ever wanted a Les Paul (to actually play) has got one, so they just need to feck off now.
    It's sad, I wish I could say my Gibson Les Paul is the best playing guitar I have ... sadly it isn't. My £300 Chinese made Jackson has a better neck, neater fretting, and a headstock that won't snap off if I look at it funny. 

All you are buying with Gibson now is the dream ... the reality bus left years ago. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    Philly_Q said:
    For some reason I'm reminded of those Head & Shoulders adverts where someone sees the shampoo bottle in the guy's bag and says "I didn't know you had dandruff"... and the guy replies "I don't".

"I can't believe Epiphones now cost as much as a lower-end Gibson."

"They don't."

They’ve really put a solid £500 price tag on all that “inspiration” Gibson has been giving Epiphone lately, haven’t they?
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1169
    The price hikes are off the scale. I'm just glad I bought my Gibsons years ago.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    edited February 6
    If anyone actually read the info, they are using the studio name but they are not studios as such - maple caps, ultra weight relief, slim necks, usual PUPs. Essentially modern versions of the standard, not simply a 2024 run of studios.