Drumpad midi controller suggestions pls

What's Hot
I am in the market for a drumpad controller. I've never used drumpad controllers. I've only ever used a midi keyboard to control drum samples and I find it really frustrating as I like the idea of being able to hit/tap something which feels more like playing a percussion instrument. I really don't want to do what I usually do and spend hours of my precious time deep diving into YT reviews and inevitably getting analysis paralysis and not making a decision.

The NI mikro mk3 looks good for the money and there are a couple of used ones on the market from £95 and I like that they come with built in presets.

I am also keen on something more minimalist like the Keith McMillen boppad thought it looks a bit limited as there are only 4 separate pads that one can play at a time, from what I can tell.

I currently have an arturia keystep 37 which a great compact mobile midi keyboard. I am considering getting the arturia keylab essential 61/49 mk3 which from the reviews seems to have some really decent drum pads which gives the best of both worlds on one control surface.

Simplicity is key for me so I am trying to figure out the simplest and most minimal way to go about it.

Would love to hear advice and suggestions, cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28400
    I used an M-Audio Trigger Finger for that sort of thing. Much more satisfying than a keyboard. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BraddersBradders Frets: 21
    Sporky said:
    I used an M-Audio Trigger Finger for that sort of thing. Much more satisfying than a keyboard. 

I will take a look cheers
    I'm using this

Actually I did look at something like this as it has large pads for sticks. I will have a further look
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    I have a Launchpad Pro which is good for finger drumming and I also have a Yamaha FGDP-50 which is truly excellent and I would recommend it (or the 30 if you want something less spendy).

It is also a standalone instrument you can use for practicing your drumming. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    edited February 7
    This guy is good, and has a simple recommendation page...

Gear recommendations for finger drumming in 2024 - The Quest for Groove

I know you didn't want to watch videos, but I thought this was useful....

I have a Launchpad Pro which is good for finger drumming and I also have a Yamaha FGDP-50 which is truly excellent and I would recommend it (or the 30 if you want something less spendy).

It is also a standalone instrument you can use for practicing your drumming. 

Cheers, will take a look at those options
    Lodious said:
    This guy is good, and has a simple recommendation page...

Gear recommendations for finger drumming in 2024 - The Quest for Groove

I know you didn't want to watch videos, but I thought this was useful....

Funny enough I actually started watching this review and skimmed through most of it. I can't seem to finish any gear review videos these days! I think I've reached saturation point and my tolerance is about a minute, lol! The just I got is that the NI maschine is a good option. Cheers for sharing though
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Always wanted to build this-----
    https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects/copy-of-nano-8-midi-drums

Tidy pedal sized enclosure is shown somewhere. Pads are a bit DIY, but it would be a nice thing to have.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Depending what you are used to, the new Yamaha Finger Drum Pads look good.  I have a NI Maschine and Maschine Jam, but sometimes the 4x4 grid (or 8x8 on the Jam), don't feel great for finger drumming to me.  I have been waiting for the FGDP 50 coming back into stock at Sweetwater, so haven't actually tried one, but watching the video, I like the format of it.
    andy_k said:
    Always wanted to build this-----
    https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects/copy-of-nano-8-midi-drums

Tidy pedal sized enclosure is shown somewhere. Pads are a bit DIY, but it would be a nice thing to have.

Look interesting, never thought of going the DIY route, I'll have a look into it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    Bradders said:
    I'm using this

Actually I did look at something like this as it has large pads for sticks. I will have a further look
    So with this there are a few options.

I vastly prefer the Nord Drum 3 for this.
    It is compact, has great feel and uses synthesis rather than samples for sounds.
    If you are just triggering plugins then it doesn't matter muuch.

I deeply dislike the Roland SPD-SX (unless you want to buy mine, in which case it is awesome, pls buy it) as it is fiddly and the sampling capability sucks compared to a proper sampler.

The Alesis is good. 
    Not for me but a lot of people like it.

I much prefer using sticks to finger drumming, especially for double strokes and typical drummery things.
    PhilKing said:
    Depending what you are used to, the new Yamaha Finger Drum Pads look good.  I have a NI Maschine and Maschine Jam, but sometimes the 4x4 grid (or 8x8 on the Jam), don't feel great for finger drumming to me.  I have been waiting for the FGDP 50 coming back into stock at Sweetwater, so haven't actually tried one, but watching the video, I like the format of it.

I'm liking these yamaha options. Looking at the Ni 4x4 grid setup, it does seem a bit cramp where as the Yamaha FGDP looks nicely laid out. The overall formfactor is compact too!

I've just looked a YT review on these and ended up clicking on youtuber playpms' 'Gas Therapy' video and why he decided not to pick up a drum pad machine and just work with improving his skills using a 25 key basic midi keyboard. Perhaps it was good to watch that first to make sure this purchase is not just fueled by GAS! Perhaps I should just stick with my midi keyboard and work on my finger drumming skills on there =)
    I'm sure it's entirely possible to do good drums with a keyboard. I found the Trigger Finger, being a different physical interface, had me approaching things differently. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Sporky said:
    I'm sure it's entirely possible to do good drums with a keyboard. I found the Trigger Finger, being a different physical interface, had me approaching things differently. 
    Mike Malyan writes drums on keyboard for later performance live due to injury and he's pretty damn great at it. He has some videos on youtube about how he sets up the mapping to enable performance.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Yeah, but he's probably a lot better at it than me! 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    If you want to check out how to use the keyboard to program drums, Dom Sigalas is very good (if you use Cubase you should subscribe to his channel) - this is his video