Headphones for recording

What's Hot
MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
edited February 9 in Studio & Recording
Hi all

I am looking to get some new headphones for recording purposes. I currently have some Audio Technica ones (actually Sennheiser HD 206 now I look)  I found on the market for £12... they work and I could use them forever I suppose.

But, I fancy a new set. I've taken advice on here about budget mics and that was very helpful. I've ended up with a Superlux one, which I am pleased with. 

Having already said "£12" and "Budget" you will gather that I am not looking at the top end, or maybe not even the mid-range. I think about £50/ £60 is my aim. I know that there is a similar thread, which I have been through. But I wanted to ask a few questions of my own.

What would I actually be looking for in a set of recording headphones? What is different about them as opposed to just ordinary ones?
Open or closed back - why are there different types?
Are Superlux any good? I like their mics
I plug my headphones into the headphone out of my recording interface -  is that standard? (ie there's not a better way to hear the mix is there?

The rest of my gear is, bar the leads/ guitars/ interface, second hand. I use what I can get my hands on - there's nothing fancy.

I think the only other thing I am keen on is a removeable/ replaceable lead so I can get a longer one or repair it easily.

Martin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636
    Closed back one big (the main?) reason for is recording vocals - the enclosed cuffs make sure the monitor mix in the singers' ears does not spill into the microphone.

Open back a lot of people prefer them for general listening and mixing. You are not blocked off from the outside sounds and the balance can be less fatigueing.

For recording guitar or other instruments either direct or miced in another room the headphone choice is personal preference.

Plugging into the recording interface is exactly what it is there for :) Unless you need to split multiple headphones or mixes job done.

As far as recommendations go I need to defer to the community because I have had mine for so long I don't know what is good any more!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3659
    As with almost every purchase
    • You get what you pay for
    • The law of diminishing returns applies
    Open backed will, in general, give you the most neutral sound (which is what you need for mixing) but they will 'leak' sound.  This can be an issue when tracking something with a mic (spill) or if you want to listen without disturbing others.

Closed back are essentially the opposite.  Reduced spill but at the cost of neutrality.

I have both kinds and I spend a lot more on the open versions than I do the closed.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
    I suppose with my existing cheap ones, I could use those for vocals and open backed for the rest.

I'd not thought of sound leak so I've already learnt something...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Sony MDR 7506

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Those look the business @spark240 do you know if the lead is detachable?

I guess it's not a dealbreaker.

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 535

Not removable, unfortunately. 

Detachable anything is a repeated strain potential mechanical failure and a place for dust and crap to accumulate. You don't want that with your tonez :)
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    Detachable anything is a repeated strain potential mechanical failure and a place for dust and crap to accumulate. You don't want that with your tonez :)
    A cautionary tale I learned from the Butthole Surfers. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084

It is long and curly ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Also, is impedance an important factor?  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    There are pros and cons.

There is a reason the DT100 is a broadcast standard- it sounds ok and every part of it can be repaired/replaced.
    I massively prefer these for anyone else who isn't me in the studio, because people treat them like crap and I can repair them easily.

I use DT770's because they sound better and although the cable isn't removable I don't abuse them and they last forever.

Headphones are frankly crap to mix on.
    I do the absolute minimum on them, only usually very detailed editing work and then a headphone check when I'm in the latter stage of the mix.

I hate to sound like a broken record but spending more on acoustic treatment is something almost no one does but will have a much greater effect on a mix than a fancy new pair of expensive headphones.

I suppose with my existing cheap ones, I could use those for vocals and open backed for the rest.

I'd not thought of sound leak so I've already learnt something...
    I personally wouldn't (and don't).
    Closed back for recording, open back for mixing (or better you a good pair of monitors in a nice sounding room, but I get that this isn't always possible).
    Yes but you should be on the good side of things - decent studio headphones have higher impedance than earbuds etc. so phones and music players can struggle to drive them. As long as your interface is half decent it will drive the phones OK.
  • AKG K240 Studios are my go to open backs.. very comfortable, screw in, replaceable lead. Great response for mixing.   Among best value out there.

The AKGs sound like my sort of thing. I appreciate that many on here use speakers - I just don't have the space or money at the moment. If or when I do I will probably do another thread along similar lines to this one.

As for the headphones, I could carry on with the ones I have and will probably still use them alongside any others I get. I'm just trying to move things up a notch here and there. 

When it comes time to get a new laptop it will be scary :) I'm currently using one bought from a FB member which runs Windows 7. It works just fine for me for now.

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1508
    I was in a similar situation for a very long time. I relied on DT770 (closed back) for recording and DT990 (open back) for mixing. Now that I have space for monitors, I don't use the 990 as much as I used to. I find the stereo perception and general feel of the music change a lot through headphones.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Hd569 from sennheiser refurb shop