Gigrig G3

What's Hot
-Ed--Ed- Frets: 28
I'm thinking of picking one of these up and have a couple of questions for any Gigrig users out there:

1. How best to buy one? I notice the date on the website moves. Do I have to pay a deposit or will there eventually be stock so I can just buy outright at the time?
2. I don't want to swap power over to their setup as I'm already invested in a Zuma that I've expanded with Ojai. Do I need use two outputs, and if so, which cable would I need?

Currently use a Boss ES8 that I love but would like more loops and something I can configure over bluetooth
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I've been in the same situation and have just paid the 50% deposit for one that I will get sometime in May for a Schmidt Array board that is arriving some time in April.

1. I've been looking for several months and they just havent been in stock, so I don't know if they will be in stock for immediate purchase but lately that hasn't been possible.

2. You get a Generator with the purchase, but what you use to power your pedals is entirely up to you.
    They say that the G3S/G3 use 850mA which is more than the Zuma outputs so you will need a current doubler and two outputs on the Zuma. Or you use the Geneator for the G3 and the Zuma for everything else and then use two IEC cables (or a cable with two C13 connectors) and run them in parallel.

I'm using a Voodoolab power supply currently (pun intended).
    I might switch over (pun intended) to the Gigrig X14 power system as it allows me to trim all the cables to length.
    But i haven't decided yet.
  • -Ed--Ed- Frets: 28
    octatonic said:
    I've been in the same situation and have just paid the 50% deposit for one that I will get sometime in May for a Schmidt Array board that is arriving some time in April.

1. I've been looking for several months and they just havent been in stock, so I don't know if they will be in stock for immediate purchase but lately that hasn't been possible.

2. You get a Generator with the purchase, but what you use to power your pedals is entirely up to you.
    They say that the G3S/G3 use 850mA which is more than the Zuma outputs so you will need a current doubler and two outputs on the Zuma. Or you use the Geneator for the G3 and the Zuma for everything else and then use two IEC cables (or a cable with two C13 connectors) and run them in parallel.

I might switch over (pun intended) to the Gigrig X14 power system as it allows me to trim all the cables to length.
    Very punny, thanks for the info :)

I need to price up what it would cost to switch v what I can sell the Zuma for. I need to get a Schmidt Array too, they look lovely, which one did you go for?
    -Ed- said:
    octatonic said:

Very punny, thanks for the info :)

I need to price up what it would cost to switch v what I can sell the Zuma for. I need to get a Schmidt Array too, they look lovely, which one did you go for?
    SA550XDM.
  • Just beware on the lead times. I’ve got a bit sick of it as the dates are never accurate so don’t expect it on time and be surprised if it is haha. I have the G3S top board on order and it’s slipped many times and previously I canceled G3 order to get one secondhand as it was continually slipping. 

Also a quick warning on MIDI capabilities too. If that matters to you then don’t hold your breath. It’s basic at best and they apparently have no concrete plans for adding much let alone what I think it needs to compete with Morningstar. 

If no MIDI then I think it’s still the best option tho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    ^agreed, I had the G3 Atom and the midi stuff is pretty basic, and the app/bluetooth was utter shite when I had it (might have improved since though)
  • It hasn’t!
    Thanks for the info, I'll look at other options as well then (incl just keeping my ES8 and rethinking my board).

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited February 11
    -Ed- said:
    Thanks for the info, I'll look at other options as well then (incl just keeping my ES8 and rethinking my board).

If more loops are primarily what you want, several companies make small MIDI controlled loop boxes you could slave to the ES-8. 

For instance:

https://emcustom.eu/looper-loopbox4.html

https://glab.com.pl/product/midi-4-x-loop-er/

https://www.morningstar.io/ml5

Morningstar also make a similar unit with five TRS loops that can be used in stereo, or as ten mono loops. You can also change the loop order like you can on the ES-8. Expensive though...

Likewise, if you can spare one or more of the TRS outs on the ES-8 you can control a remote switcher from those:

https://brightonion.co.uk/products/quad-remote-looper-2?variant=44795588542741&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiA_aGuBhACEiwAly57MZV6R6ZsiLLDNOkz79x_x9NpZajiZIq_T_aD5RJjb9dsyr23VRKtVRoCX1kQAvD_BwE

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47
    I hadn’t heard of Morningstar but the ML10X certainly looks interesting - does anyone have experience with their stuff? Does that unit do the same thing as a G3 if it is paired with one of the remote footswitch units?

I see @ThorpyFX sells them over here which is already a good endorsement. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    guitaraj said:
    I hadn’t heard of Morningstar but the ML10X certainly looks interesting - does anyone have experience with their stuff? Does that unit do the same thing as a G3 if it is paired with one of the remote footswitch units?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say a bad thing about Morningstar gear here. 

Paired with a suitable MIDI controller the ML10X is comparable to something like the G3, but you'd need to read some manuals to figure out whether the functionality is exactly the same or not- based on what people are saying about the very basic MIDI implementation on the G3, chances are the Morningstar combo would be *more* capable in that respect.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

guitaraj said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say a bad thing about Morningstar gear here. 

Paired with a suitable MIDI controller the ML10X is comparable to something like the G3, but you'd need to read some manuals to figure out whether the functionality is exactly the same or not- based on what people are saying about the very basic MIDI implementation on the G3, chances are the Morningstar combo would be *more* capable in that respect.
    Cheers Bob. Will look into it. Just starting to investigate switchers now
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 11
    guitaraj said:
    guitaraj said:

Cheers Bob. Will look into it. Just starting to investigate switchers now
    Don’t leave out Disaster Area units. If in depth MIDI is ln’t needed they’re amazing. I use one as my main board now. It’s all I need tbh 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Thanks @hotpickups will check those out too
    thanks @english_bob ;

I've been looking at the Morningstar stuff quite a bit. If I was going go down that route, I'd go with their midi controller as its a good option that appears to have a decent app and UI.
    There a quite a few limitations compared to G3/Es8 but it does look like it would more than meet my needs.

I've decided to hold off for a bit and reconfigure my board. I can free up three loops by moving a couple of pedals and putting the gate in the vol loop rather than a loop of its own. I don't use it often enough to warrant a loop.

I've just ordered a Schmidt array board. I've been lusting over them for years and have finally pulled the trigger :)

• ColWilkieColWilkie Frets: 144
    I don't have a G3 anymore, but my personal experience was that it is an incredible piece of engineering.  You get what you pay for.  Sound was fantastic, and it was really intuitive to programme.  They have made improvements with the midi, and to be honest, I didn't really find any limitations in my previous big board setup.  I had quite complex midi commands setup for controlling CC messages with my CB pedals, incorporating an expression pedal as well.  The app is not the best though, I'd agree with that.  

The Morningstar devices do look powerful however, and if I was to only have a midi control device I'd be looking at the new MC6 Pro (or whatever it is called).  If I was after a switcher with midi capabilities, I'd immediately purchase another G3.

• JanahanJanahan Frets: 54
    edited February 14
    Regarding power for the G3 Atom - I've been running mine off the 500ma output of a Strymon Zuma and had no problems. Not sure if the G3 requires more though.
  • ColWilkieColWilkie Frets: 144
    Janahan said:
    Regarding power for the G3 Atom - I've been running mine of the 500ma output of a Strymon Zuma and had no problems. Not sure if the G3 requires more though.
    Nah, works perfectly as well.  I was doing that before changing to CIOKS and had no issues.  Sold off the included GigRig generator.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5372
    As a largely disinterested bystander, what are the actual limitations with the MIDI on the G3? I vaguely understood that it was fairly capable in the MIDI department, particularly in comparison to earlier GigRig stuff.
    I am not one of these people who thinks it is that limited.
    They can be fiddly.

There are more fully featured midi controllers out there but it depends on what you want to do.

If you want to control more than two pedals at once with CC, then it won't do that, but I don't need more than two at once.
    Usually just one.
    If you are used to Axe FX levels of midi control then it might be limited but that isn't what I am looking for.

I need to send Program Change (for patch changes) and CC messages (for expression pedal control).
    It does that.
    Otherwise I just need to switch pedals in and out.

Here is the G3 manual- have a look at the MIDI section.
    https://www.thegigrig.com/_files/ugd/6d8510_d94637dd1abe4d9387f7bb97edc6bebc.pdf
    Janahan said:
    Regarding power for the G3 Atom - I've been running mine of the 500ma output of a Strymon Zuma and had no problems. Not sure if the G3 requires more though.
    The specs say they need the same power requirement.

Good to know they run on 500mA, but I will ask them what the power requirement is, I don't want to underpower the G3 long term.