Strap length rear strap button (SG)

What's Hot
chor808chor808 Frets: 73
Evening,

I've a Yamaha SG 1820 which I picked up a few years ago from this forum. It's an excellent guitar when sitting down but I can't seem to get the right strap/strap length to make it comfortable to play standing. I even, stupidly put another strap button on the top horn.

It always leans forward and it seems like I need a massive long strap ( which I've not found) to make it hang low enough.

It's going on the chopping block of I can't sort it.

What do you guys use with either the Yamaha or an sg style guitar 
Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    I’ve had several SGs, though Gibsons rather than a thicker-bodied Yamaha version. One had a strap button on back of top horn - if anything it made it balance worse for me. I tend to find a longer strap (I’m tall so I get longest I can find) and more importantly one that’s suede backed make them hang best and stay put for me. I typically wear it a bit long and angle the neck up more than I would with a Les Paul or strat etc. once it’s balanced and not moving, just a touch of forearm on the top bout is usually enough to stop it tipping forward.
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    Levy’s straps with tri-glide adjustment rather than the old school slotted adjustment are generally as long as you need. 
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    I'll have a measure of the current strap then look up what's available.  Thanks 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 955
    I use a thick leather strap made by Heistercamp on my SG. I find they generally make any guitar sit more solidly. Probably outlast me as well I should imagine. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27014
    Long time Gibson SG guy here. Really long strap is the answer. 

I have a chunky Levy’s MSS3 which is lovely (they make an extra long version), and a few simple Levy cotton ones (MC8 I think) that are excellent. Just don’t get a polyester one by mistake as they’re horrible 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Long strap installed, gig tonight, hopefully it lasts all evening or it's out with the Harley Benton!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Yep long strap with the guitar positioned more on your hip is the way. I currently only play an SG and this is the comfiest way for me. I think moving the top button to the horn would make it worse for me. Having the button on the back allows the guitar to rotate with the neck pointing more upwards. I believe one of Mark Knopflers strats has the button here too, I was looking at doing the same when I had a strat as I don't like how flat the neck angle is on a strap.
    chor808 said:
    Long strap installed, gig tonight, hopefully it lasts all evening or it's out with the Harley Benton!
    Bottled it and used the Harley Benton! Maybe next time..