Noise floor in pedal

What's Hot
RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
Hi all.
I have an analogue dual distortion and chorus pedal. I get this noise from the distortion side. I've tried it with both my gigrig isolated power and my Truetone CS7 so I don't think it's a power issue, it also goes strangely microphonic, as in you can hear the switches rattling and my foot tapping the pedal housing through the amp. It's very present unless I turn the pedal off. It's wired straight into the front of my boss katana, it happens when it's just the pedal and when I put it into a chain. Do you think it's faulty or is this normal for analogue pedals?

Apologies it's a link, I couldn't upload any other way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XI8NOmXfPJqz-zHNmLw7oj08xrEfL6Tp/view?usp=drivesdk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 254
    Faulty.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Microphonic isn't normal. Can you post pics of the inside of the pedal? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    The one time I had a microphonic pedal (Boss DM-3) it was a loose solder joint on a ceramic cap.
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
    I'll take some pics later, frustratingly I've had a really bad experience with this builder. First it took nearly 4 months to come because it wasn't accepted at the UK border, the paperwork wasn't correct. Then it got lost whilst being returned. Which I was understanding about and didn't blame them, but it was constantly me chasing couriers and customs, they just kept saying "you'll get it eventually." Then it finally arrived like this. I've emailed and tried all their suggestions and now they've just ghosted me. 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Hard to tell from the video but it sounds faulty to me as well. 
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 335
    You could release that as a techno track...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm getting really pissed off with the manufacturer now. The pedal wasn't cheap and I had to pay import tax because despite me placing two separate orders months apart, both with shipping they sent them together, pushing the value over the import threshold. 
    It gets better. The second pedal I purchased off them, that came at the same time, the nylon input power jack was crossthreaded, it's spun and broken the wire from the + lug. I can fix it myself but that's shocking quality for a pedal that should be gigged.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    jca74 said:
    You could release that as a techno track...
    Merzbow doing happy hardcore. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 254
    By way of an addition, just noticed my T-rex Moller2 pedal is more than a little microphonic. Mucking about today trying some different amp settings  I noticed there was some feedback going on even with the guitar turned down to zero. Obvious candidate would have been the reverb (t-rex room mate with a valve in it) but no. Just worked along the chain until I got to the moller and tap-tap turned into clang-clang. Time to get the back off and see what's what.

Been a bit of a feature lately. I have an ODR-1 with a fetish for RF. Picks up every phone chirp within 20 feet.

PiTA. Hopefully just a dry joint or something that is easy to spot. 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.