Ivor Mairants ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
Does it still have nice acoustics in the basement? I looked on the website and it only lists middle of the road stuff

(I’m in central London today and tomorrow and fancied a look at acoustics if I get time) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• melodmelod Frets: 136
    I believe it has closed but there is a new guitar shop in its place but I am forgetting the name! I think it is owned by ex Ivor Mairants staff.
  • From about us on the website

Sadly, on Saturday 14th December the Musicentre storefront in Rathbone Place, London closed for business, and on 31st December 2019, the lease on our iconic Central London storefront ended.

We are pleased to be able to say however, that the Ivor Mairants Musicentre webstore lives on at www.ivormairants.co.uk

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    Maks Guitars is there now, I believe it’s the former shop manager who started his own store after IM finished.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Maks guitars is great, nice Eastman stock and the coffee shope next door Lavelle has good cinnamon buns.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Another endorsement for Mak's. Mak is very welcoming and easy to deal with. Nice stock of acoustics and arch tops and will let you be in an enclosed room to play what you'd like.
  • I buy strings online from Ivor Mairants and they seem to be a stockist for Vintage branded guitars too. Based in Leeds now,I believe? Maybe just a warehouse or industrial Unit(s)?
  • spir4Lspir4L Frets: 87
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    mgaw said:
    Maks Guitars is there now, I believe it’s the former shop manager who started his own store after IM finished.

this
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14290
    tFB Trader
    I buy strings online from Ivor Mairants and they seem to be a stockist for Vintage branded guitars too. Based in Leeds now,I believe? Maybe just a warehouse or industrial Unit(s)?
    Not checked but that is effectively J Hornby Skewes - They owned Ivor Marriants for a number of years - They own Vintage and distribute 1000's of items to the retail trade via their warehouse in Leeds - So effectively running a warehose distribution to the trade with their left hand - And a retail unit, via the same warehouse, to the public, albeit at retail prices

Think you'll find the warehouse will be at Garforth - Just off the M1 north-ish Leeds
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 616
    Yep Mak's is a very nice store and similar to the old Ivor Mairants in the types of products it stocks (i.e mostly very high end acoustics). Well worth a visit. It's usually nice and quiet, low pressure and generally a refreshing breather from what you get on Denmark St.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3705
    There's also Hobgoblin just up the road from them; more "folk" instruments than just guitars but worth a browse just for the atmosphere
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14290
    tFB Trader
    I buy strings online from Ivor Mairants and they seem to be a stockist for Vintage branded guitars too. Based in Leeds now,I believe? Maybe just a warehouse or industrial Unit(s)?
    Not checked but that is effectively J Hornby Skewes - They owned Ivor Marriants for a number of years - They own Vintage and distribute 1000's of items to the retail trade via their warehouse in Leeds - So effectively running a warehose distribution to the trade with their left hand - And a retail unit, via the same warehouse, to the public, albeit at retail prices

Think you'll find the warehouse will be at Garforth - Just off the M1 north-ish Leeds
    Yes, just checked the web site - And it is the 'retail division' of their distribution line and as I thought from the same warehouse
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    Another endorsement for Mak Ogawa and his excellent customer service. Have made several long distance purchases. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    drofluf said:
    There's also Hobgoblin just up the road from them; more "folk" instruments than just guitars but worth a browse just for the atmosphere

played a Blueridge in there once (with @Jalapeno )  had to scrape the strings clean before I could play it
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I buy strings online from Ivor Mairants and they seem to be a stockist for Vintage branded guitars too. Based in Leeds now,I believe? Maybe just a warehouse or industrial Unit(s)?

That's the one. Ironically my Son in Law and family used to live in Garforth but moved when he married my daughter. I dont have any excuse to visit that place now.
  • EvansDrDEvansDrD Frets: 107
    Another ringing endorsement for Mak. As good as they come 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    EvansDrD said:
    And another one.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    EvansDrD said:
    Ditto.

He was pretty much running the show when it was Ivor's and even though the shop has a different sign, it's pretty much the same great shop it used to be.

I hope Mak's will be with us for many more years, it's a vital part of the London guitar shop landscape.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Never been to Maks but did meet him a couple of times in the early 90s. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    This reminds me that I need to visit Maks sometime, I’ve enjoyed looking through his website these past few months.

Also I think it was @Winny_Pooh who recommended a nice Coffeeshop close by called Lavelle Coffee.