Thumb pick advice.

What's Hot
Folks

I'm primarily an electric player rapidly transitioning to acoustic. 

I have arthritis in my thumb and fingers, but find that a thumb pick really helps. Now, due to the changeable nature of my arthritis, I could really do with an adjustable thumb pick. I find that solid plastic /metal picks can be painful to wear.

Does such a thing exist? Happy to search online,but a steer would be of great help.
Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I really like the Fred Kelly Bumblebee thumbpicks. They're only adjustable in the sense that you can slide the 'plectrum' part up and down slightly but they are available in various sizes and so on.
  • Thank you. I will look
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9622
    I’ve recently been spammed by adverts for thumbpicks that seem to have some kind of adjustment - Black Mountain Thumbpicks I think?

Also, the trick with the celluloid ones is to put them in a cup of just boiled water for a minute, then put it on and it’s supposed to mould itself to the shape of your thumb.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 13
    I'll try and keep this short.............. as the whatsit said to the thingy

Ive tried pretty much every thumb pick out there, and the best fit Ive found,  Good old bog standard Dunlop/Ernie Ball tort  dropped in a cup of hot water for 20 seconds,  then mould to fit.................(I also file the blade down to a symmetrical point)

Even our late great friend Mellish tried to win me over with the Fred Kelly speed picks..............failed miserably.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    edited February 14
    I have played with fingerpicks (thumb plastic, index & middle steel) since the 70's. Important to remember that they vary in hardness like plectra. I suspect everyone spends a period of time finding their own optimal ones.

I use this Jim Dunlop Red for soft

Jim Dunlop 9051R Red Delrin Thumbpicks Medium 12Bag  Amazonca Musical  Instruments Stage  Studio
    and this Golden Gate for hard
    Golden Gate Picks Ivoroid Thumb Pick - Large Each  Long  McQuade
    As others have said, thumbpicks are made of thermoplastics and can be moulded to your thumb with the cautious use of boiling hot water and then carved for length, angle of attack etc. and then smoothed off. They often come in small, medium, large sizes.

They have all the features of nails as regards the correct interaction with the string but the advantage that they can be twisted around. Try to ensure that there is a flat angle of attack although this is not always possible. They are certainly good for volume. 

Banjo players use steel thumb picks but they sound a little harsh on acoustics, to my ears anyway.

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 232
    Fred Kelly speed picks. They have a narrow 'tongue' which aids accurate picking and although it looks flimsy, it's not.
    Eagle music import them. (No affiliation).

• yeah the blackmountain ones are adjustable. Not tried them yet
  • yeah the blackmountain ones are adjustable. Not tried them yet
    They have a spring on them too which gives the flexibility to the thumbpick.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    The Black Mountains are really good imo. Good blade length, nice thump on the strings and the spring loaded clasp on your thumb makes it comfortable. 
    Taken the top spot for me away from the Dunlop tortoise shell.
  • Wow. Thanks everyone.Lovely people.
    I could do with one today...my thumb joint has expanded...Bloody weather.

Thanks all. I think several moulded Dunlops would be good,but I'm going to track down the Black Mountain.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    I find the blue Herco picks to be more comfortable than other thumb picks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The 'spam you all over Facebook' Black Mountain ones mentioned are the only ones that I can think of that have a spring loaded catch and therefore will adjust automatically to whatever size your thumb tip may be on a given day, good place to start.

Personally I don't like the thumb picks that are like a big plectrum as I find them too big and cumbersome (Black Mountain ones are very thick too.) After trying dozens I settled on these;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fred-Kelly-Picks-D2-M-8-Delrin/dp/B00JA4T724?th=1
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I like to have my pick right up near my thumb joint,  as well as "normal" picking I can position it so I pick with the pick, and my thumbnail at the same time  - its a nice tone when playing a lower volumes
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    If standard thumbpicks seem to be failing you then Perfect Touch picks from the US have a very different type of mounting - not around the rear of the nail but around the joint itself - and they might be worth a look...

https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/perfect_touch_miracle_thumb_pick.html
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks. That seems very interesting