JCM 800 but smaller?

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
I have 2 JMP 2203 heads, which obviously are not suitable for gigs without car/van. I also have a Matrix VB800 which is a kilo at most and sounds like an 800, has preamp valves and is loud enough to gig with but doesn't quite nail the valve oomph of a real 800. Are there any other as that really nail the the 800 sound? that are maybe small enough to take on the tube etc?

anyone got experience with the studio 20w head? how close is it the full fat version?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    I had the 20W one - I thought it was very good. Behaved in a very similar way.... no bass until it's turned up a bit! :D 

It's still very loud - in the house I used it in 5W mode and then still used an attenuator if I wanted the power section wound up properly.

I only sold it because I only gig on bass, but I am really missing it. Guitar with EMGs and a SD-1 pushing the front end and it was an amazing sound. Plenty of punch in a way that other Marshalls just don't have.

I reckon it's a good 90% of the way there to a big one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2426
    Yep, love my Studio 20. Cuts through a band mix like nothing else, needs the master opened up for the low end to come in. It really is just everything you like (and maybe dislike) about its big brother in a small package.
    Tim
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    edited February 14
    Matchless Coldwater Canyon.

Seriously you have to hear it.
    It is a 20w hot rodded Marshall style circuit mixed up with the Matchless crunchy/chimey thing.

Listen from: 1:23

Stick a pedal in front of it and it tightens up with more gain.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I don't want to kill the YT link, a few more things about the CC.

The master is very good and you can get a great tone at low volume.
    The FX loop is great too.
  • birtnerbirtner Frets: 65
    +1 for the SC20. Great sounding amp and loud!