Help Identifying A Speaker

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
This was put into a late 60's Pro Reverb I used to own. If I remember rightly, the tech who put it in there said it had been taken from a 70's Twin Reverb (this is from my hazy memory anyhow).

Any ideas whether this looks to be the case?

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yep, that’s definitely a speaker
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    It’s a 1970 CTS (137 is CTS and 7034 is the 34th week of 1970) so it could well have been taken out of a Twin, but was not the original speaker in it - it would have a blue circular Fender sticker on the back if it was. They put them on even when they didn't fit properly, like on the square-magnet alnico speakers, so it wouldn't have been missed off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2323
    137 = CTS
    7034 = 34th week of 1970
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    The number137 is often associated with CTS speakers.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2323
    ICBM said:
    It’s a 1970 CTS (137 is CTS and 7034 is the 34th week of 1970) so it could well have been taken out of a Twin, but was not the original speaker in it - it would have a blue circular Fender sticker on the back if it was. They put them on even when they didn't fit properly, like on the square-magnet alnico speakers, so it wouldn't have been missed off.
    Damn, beat me to it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Thanks all. Any chance the blue sticker may have fell off/been removed? Are CTS speakers any good? It sounded fine when in the Pro Reverb.

Wondering whether to sell it on, or put it in a cab like I've been intending to for years.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    The blue label won’t have fallen off, they’re very difficult to remove at all. Fender didn’t use speakers with that type of very open frame at that point either - Google ‘Fender CTS 1970’ and you’ll see the standard types.

It will be a good speaker, just not original in that Twin. Twins very often blew their speakers, they were really too powerful for the ones Fender fitted, that’s why you see so many that have replacements.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom