PSA: Shergold at Gear4Music

What's Hot
AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 41
edited February 14 in Guitar
Shergold Masquerader Single coil at £499 - this is the one I've had since 2018 - great guitars, originally £800. They have a rosewood neck with a semi -matte finish that's a fraction fuller than a "Modern C", and compensated brass saddles 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Shergold-Masquerader-Classic-SM03-Thru-Dirty-Blonde/5JTE?origin=product-ads&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw6yuBhDrARIsACf94RXoH4Kfa52aEz746yUKstWZMLNFzIF66o_koWp3iAKL2ScY2mBMUeEaAt8EEALw_wcB

This version is vintage strat -vintage strat - Tele and covers a lot of tones .

A bit of a shame to see them being flogged off as (presumably) it means they've not done well, when IMO they deserved to.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Nice looking guitar with quality prickups. Shergold  guitars never had a massive following first time round so I guess it’s a bit of an uphill struggle for them now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The rosewood necks on those were really comfy when I tried one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Okay I accidentally bought one of these. It turned up today. It is fantastic, there's nothing about it I would change
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    I have always fancied one of these in fandango red.

It looks like a great spec and I love that it's not your usual S/T/LP clone.
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 180
    edited February 16
    I've been playing one of these in the Hum/p90 configuration almost exclusively at gigs for years now. Super underrated guitars.
    This neck is no joke. Rosewood edge bound. It feels like the old Gibson 50's Rounded profile

The controls are in exactly the right place too, my hand just automatically went for the selector switch. PJE is a bleddy genius

It was reviewed @ £800 when it launched in 2017, which means these have been discounted from the pre-inflation price. I'm just a little bit blown away by the quality and the design
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Had a cheeky look on the cavity. Alpha pots, treble bleed. The inside of the cavity is lacquered 

And the weight is 7lbs 13oz. I was concerned it might be a chonker with the mahogany and rosewood at this price
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10584
    edited February 17 tFB Trader
    Nice looking guitar with quality prickups. Shergold  guitars never had a massive following first time round so I guess it’s a bit of an uphill struggle for them now. 
    I would argue that if they had been fitted with say Bare Knuckles or similar ... British legend guitar with British pickups ... they would have sold better. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7190
    Was going to ask about the weight - I’ve picked one up before and it felt lovely, but it weighed roughly the same as a medium sized family saloon 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Shergold guitars have always been, let’s say challenging when it comes to design and appearance and  unfortunately they had so real USP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    Presumably they're Chinese-made?
    I would argue that if they had been fitted with say Bare Knuckles or similar ... British legend guitar with British pickups ... they would have sold better. 
    I heard that SD are much cheaper when supplied wholesale as components (Phil McKnight talking about Badlands FWIW). PJE mentioned at the time that they got a good price on them so they were able to do it. That is the extent of my knowledge though
    edited February 17
    prowla said:
    Indonesia, so almost certainly Cortek, then sent to the UK for setup and inspection. The woods were sourced locally from sustainable sources which is why they went with mahogany vs alder
    Having said that @OilCityPickups I will most likely end up installing my OCP Fortyniner in this. It has to be in my top 3 favourite bridge pickups of any kind, and easily my fave non-humbucker
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I can see your point. I don’t know who made the pickups on the original Shergold instruments but wouldn’t be surprised if they were made in the UK.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10584
    tFB Trader
    I can see your point. I don’t know who made the pickups on the original Shergold instruments but wouldn’t be surprised if they were made in the UK.
    If you look way back in the archives on here (also reproduced on 7 string. org here with better photos) you can see me restore a pair of the originals :-) UK made, quirky, but an original voice. 
    roberty said:
    I heard that SD are much cheaper when supplied wholesale as components (Phil McKnight talking about Badlands FWIW). PJE mentioned at the time that they got a good price on them so they were able to do it. That is the extent of my knowledge though
    Well we all do that ... The luthiers who use my own pickups get 'deals' depending on quantity. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    roberty said:
    prowla said:
    Indonesia, so almost certainly Cortek, then sent to the UK for setup and inspection. The woods were sourced locally from sustainable sources which is why they went with mahogany vs alder
    Doesn't PJE have his own factory there where he makes Faith guitars?

If like to think these were made there as Cor-Tek is a deal breaker for me.
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 794
    BigPaulie said:
    roberty said:
    prowla said:

Yes. Made at the same workshop as Faith. They make a point of talking about the good working conditions and sustainable wood on their website 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That's good to know @Rich31k. They are a bit candid about where it comes from. I would have considered it a selling point. Maybe things have changed in the last 7 years
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    Rich31k said:

Yes. Made at the same workshop as Faith. They make a point of talking about the good working conditions and sustainable wood on their website 
    The Faith Guitars factory is in West Java, the Cortek factory is in East Java. Java is a huge island with over 150 million residents, so the two factories could be miles apart for a number of things!

I'm not entirely sure but the Pono Factory (they mainly make ukuleles but a few guitars too) is in Java too but it's definitely separate to the Cortek one.  I remember reading a thread about them about their working practises at AGF.  One of their sellers said their prices were really high for a number of things, one of those factors were all staff had 4-6 weeks paid off per year (if my memory serves me right).

BigPaulie said:

I think my Recording King may be made be by Cor Tek in their Chinese Factory, I wouldn't buy another one of their instruments again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom