PSA: Shergold at Gear4Music

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10905
    Thinking about it some more, they were competing with lower end Gibsons in that price range at the time. I can understand why they would want to play it down when you could get a US-made name guitar for less money (source
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    roberty said:
    there's nothing about it I would change
    Well that didn't take long. The Oil City 49er is in the bridge position now. It's a miracle pickup, it does overdrive and cleans equally well. Because of the weaker magnets you can get it closer to the strings and that makes a huge difference

I am smitten with the guitar

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You're right @OilCityPickups these guitars do represent a missed opportunity to showcase some UK pickups. Reading your repair thread sort of brought it home. I was ignorant about the history of the brand
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2381
    Wow that's excellent @roberty , excellent score there
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10799
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    You're right @OilCityPickups these guitars do represent a missed opportunity to showcase some UK pickups. Reading your repair thread sort of brought it home. I was ignorant about the history of the brand
    Shergold used to be about being different ... you'd buy one because you wanted something out of the ordinary, the Shergold 12 string electric was a case in point, it sounded nothing like either the Fender 12 or the Rickenbacker ... it was it's own thing. Putting generic pickups on a maverick design kinda just makes an 'also ran' guitar.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• WezVWezV Frets: 16811
    roberty said:
    Shergold used to be about being different ... you'd buy one because you wanted something out of the ordinary, the Shergold 12 string electric was a case in point, it sounded nothing like either the Fender 12 or the Rickenbacker ... it was it's own thing. Putting generic pickups on a maverick design kinda just makes an 'also ran' guitar.  
    Gone are the days where every brand has its unique construction style, hardware and pickups.

PRS may be the only major manufacturer actually bothering to make ono-standard parts for their own designs, but most of those are still somehow generically familiar.

However, I do think these new Shergold models represent great value for money, especially on sale.  They are a bit quirkier in design and material choices than most, just not hardware. You would struggle to find that combination of wood choices  at this price anywhere else.

tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    roberty said:
    Gone are the days where every brand has its unique construction style, hardware and pickups.

PRS may be the only major manufacturer actually bothering to make ono-standard parts for their own designs, but most of those are still somehow generically familiar.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that Wez. The usual suspects: Gibson, Gretsch, Fender and Rickenbacker and PRS are all still very much using unique construction style, hardware and pickups. Ibanez is getting pickup manufacturers to conform to its own footprint and design aesthetic non square HB baseplates, triangular feet, super thin profiles and five pin plug. 
    If you add to this - more and more luthiers who are coming to me for pickups for their models these days are asking for a pickup design with a unique selling point or even pickup designed exclusively for their range. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5180
    WezV said:
    ono-standard parts

Let me guess. Japanese made, and make the guitar really wail, but you can never get it in tune. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    roberty said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that Wez. The usual suspects: Gibson, Gretsch, Fender and Rickenbacker and PRS are all still very much using unique construction style, hardware and pickups. Ibanez is getting pickup manufacturers to conform to its own footprint and design aesthetic non square HB baseplates, triangular feet, super thin profiles and five pin plug. 
    If you add to this - more and more luthiers who are coming to me for pickups for their models these days are asking for a pickup design with a unique selling point or even pickup designed exclusively for their range. 

I will give you Gretsch, rickenbacker and ibanez who have always offered an alternative.. as well as many small builder doing something different, and there is certainly more variety in certain circles such as ERG's or basses.  Duesenberg probably deserve a mention for their subtly upgraded versions of standard parts.

But there is still a lack of variety in hardware used  on most of the stuff you see on guitar shop walls.  Many will resort to standard fender/gibson hardware and the various versions of that.  Even many "reissues" of quirky old guitars are more reliant on generic parts.   Eastwood, danelectro, harmony, supro etc.

WezV said:

You would struggle to find that combination of wood choices  at this price anywhere else.
    The neck is extremely inert. There is a percussive snap to the note but then after that it sustains forever. It must have the longest sustain out of all my guitars. It feels genuinely different to play. Tonally it is fatter and more midrangey than your typical alder/maple
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    roberty said:

I will give you Gretsch, rickenbacker and ibanez who have always offered an alternative.. as well as many small builder doing something different, and there is certainly more variety in certain circles such as ERG's or basses.  Duesenberg probably deserve a mention for their subtly upgraded versions of standard parts.

But there is still a lack of variety in hardware used  on most of the stuff you see on guitar shop walls.  Many will resort to standard fender/gibson hardware and the various versions of that.  Even many "reissues" of quirky old guitars are more reliant on generic parts.   Eastwood, danelectro, harmony, supro etc.

Design is getting freed up by innovation ... gradually 

• I was actually the poster boy for Shergold for a short while (literally- they used a photo of me playing one live in their magazine full-page ads). We got a Masquerader free, toured it- very solid guitar, faultless really (besides being ugly as sin, but that's subjective).
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 20
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    roberty said:

Design is getting freed up by innovation ... gradually 
    They usually come under the ERG bracket... I first built with them about 18 years ago when I did my first fanned fret. I paired them with one of your pickups on a later build.  I have the headless equivalent in my parts drawer waiting for a build

You still don't see many of them on factory guitars, and you certainly don't associate them with a specific guitar brands identity the way you would original Shergold parts.
  • AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 41
    @roberty congrats on joining the club!
    Do yourself a favour and stick it in open G... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 20
    Cheers @Airmiles I had never looked at these before

JamesSGBrown said:
     faultless really (besides being ugly as sin, but that's subjective).

It is a 100% audition blocker lol. I love it anyway
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a Northern Irish band using them live. I don't think they ever used this brand, maybe were given them for the festival?