Would an unsoldered pickup wire joint cause tone issue

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited February 15 in Making & Modding
@ICBM ;;

I bought an 05 Gibson SG Special Faded on line a couple of days ago, my first SG and I like it alot, 2 vols and tones are an adventure, but whatever…..Not impressed with the pickups though, neck is ok, but the bridge lacked any clarity and was, well, a bit “woolly”… I considered returning it, but I like it, so decided to change the bridge pickup, stripped it removed the old one and popped in something from the stash…I didnt really think about it at the time, but the bridge hot wire was just resting in the hole in the pot lug, there was a blob of solder in the general area, but the wire was loose…. would it being unsoldered (it made a noise so it was making contact of sorts) affect the tone and contribute to the wooloiness? Or do I just not like the pickup?

It would appear to have left Gibson like it, it doesn't appear to have been messed with

I think I know the answer, but input from a grown up would be good

Pickups are 490 R and T

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    It could do especially if the eye had become tarnished. The neck pickup in my CS339 had no solder at all, just wrapped around the eye !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    On the hot connection it’s more likely to work or not work, rather than affect the tone. On the ground connection it can cause a very thin, weak sound although the pickup can appear to ‘work’.

These un-soldered pot connections are quite common on Gibsons.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thanks chaps, new pickups then…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Gibson Guitars … where every day is Friday afternoon. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom