Do acoustic IRs work with magnetic pickups? Or better combinations?

2»

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited May 26
    I have found that the choice of strings makes a big difference and a lot of that is to do with the magnetic properties of the core (steel and 'properly' magnetic) and the outer windings (depending on the metal, they can vary from non-magnetic through partially magnetic to fully magnetic).

I have one of the prototype Gillett S hybrids that has a double piezo and three-way switchable humbucker single coils.  With some acoustic strings I've used, there has been almost no magnetic signal coming through.  Others are better, but I didn't have the patience (or funds) to try every set on the market so finally plumbed for DR Zebra Acoustic-Electric strings.  They have dual windings - steel and phosphor bronze - wound together up the wound strings.  They wouldn't match a decent set of phosphor bronzes for a pure acoustic sound, but worked well through an amplifier/pedals/etc..

And, of course, you can use electric guitar strings although the pure acoustic will be tangibly less bright when used as acoustic only.

I have an unused set of the DR Zebras (missing the 1st, but you will be able to use your existing non-wound 1st & 2nd ones) just taking up cupboard space - I now just use electrics on the Gillett as it is never used as just an acoustic.  PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post to you for nowt if you want to try them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    3 Sigma do IRs for magnetic pickups. I'm very impressed with their D45 IR set, I can get a passable acoustic tone from a telecaster
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    I have found that the choice of strings makes a big difference and a lot of that is to do with the magnetic properties of the core (steel and 'properly' magnetic) and the outer windings (depending on the metal, they can vary from non-magnetic through partially magnetic to fully magnetic).

I have one of the prototype Gillett S hybrids that has a double piezo and three-way switchable humbucker single coils.  With some acoustic strings I've used, there has been almost no magnetic signal coming through.  Others are better, but I didn't have the patience (or funds) to try every set on the market so finally plumbed for DR Zebra Acoustic-Electric strings.  They have dual windings - steel and phosphor bronze - wound together up the wound strings.  They wouldn't match a decent set of phosphor bronzes for a pure acoustic sound, but worked well through an amplifier/pedals/etc..

And, of course, you can use electric guitar strings although the pure acoustic will be tangibly less bright when used as acoustic only.

I have an unused set of the DR Zebras (missing the 1st, but you will be able to use your existing non-wound 1st & 2nd ones) just taking up cupboard space - I now just use electrics on the Gillett as it is never used as just an acoustic.  PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post to you for nowt if you want to try them. 

That's very kind, thank you - however I've already ordered some new silk and steels as the flatwounds I put on are just atrocious feeling to me and I can't play it. 

Thanks also for the info in your post, I hadn't considered using electric strings I must admit. I have some cheap ones I keep as spares in case of breakages so maybe I restring with those first before I put the silk&steels back on.

I really seem to struggle with proper acoustic strings, I find them really hard to play and I don't do acoustic often enough to get used to it. If I do 15 mins that's as much as I ever play it, I'm much happier on electric to be honest but acoustic sounds seem to suit my voice and I think when people want that kind of voice plus guitar texture, they normally want acoustic sounds (unfortunately for me)

I think I'm resigned to either getting a piezo based pickup fitted (K&K pure mini is looking the most cost effective) and a setup at the same time, been quoted about £80 for setup and pickup fitting, or I get a new guitar that has something piezo built in and change the strings to the ones I like. Hopefully then I can get the flipping IRs to sound ok...

I have a call this week with the one couple who've convinced me to add some singing after my piano playing bits at their wedding, so I will put the question out there as to whether they'd be open to me just playing clean electric on my Tele a la Jeff Buckley, as that may also kick the can a bit further down the road if so.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    strtdv said:
    3 Sigma do IRs for magnetic pickups. I'm very impressed with their D45 IR set, I can get a passable acoustic tone from a telecaster
    That's the company I did purchase from, and i bought their helix presets as well. I need to try the Tele again in case there's something I'm just doing wrongly with either guitar as the Tele one sounded really bad like an old multi effects acoustic simulator kind of sound. I very much doubt it sounds the same for you if you like the sound as I don't think tastes could vary that much!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    edited May 28
    I like it within the limitations of what it is. A solidbody guitar is never going to feel at all like playing an acoustic. 
    I got the best results by blending 2 of the IRs, one for Tele bridge pickup and the other for under saddle piezo, then adding a little EQ and reverb. 

I'd also say that in a live setting you'll notice the differences far more than the audience will. I've even used some of the stock Helix settings live and had compliments on the sound, whereas at home I find pretty much all the stock settings lacking and have had to go through and create about 40 of my own presets with a set of studio headphones.

The convenience of only bringing one guitar outweighs the limitations for me. 
    If I really wanted to "do it all" through the electric guitar though I'd seriously look at a Fishman Powerbridge or similar, piezos are a great leveller on guitars (they could make a fencepost with strings sound similar to a Martin if both used the same UST pickup), and IMO a lot of the piezo IRs out there are pretty good

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    I think maybe some of it is my playing style, and some of it is the lack of strength of the signal going in maybe - I play very softly and don't really strum at all (I don't enjoy that loud rhythm strumming thing) so I think maybe that helps to make it sound weaker and thin maybe. But I can't turn up the soundhole pickup input gain due to the hissing which is like nails on a blackboard to me.

The examples ttony shared show a much stronger raw sound than I get, and his end result is subsequently much better as well. Hence why I think a passive piezo like the K&K might be better as that should not have the hissing noise of the magnetic pickups I think? And internet wisdom suggests the signal is quite loud from that pickup