Tech 21 PSA 2.0 preamp. Anyone with practical knowledge?

TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4781
One of my musical buddies is interested in one of these. He's been following my adventures in "go direct". I said I'd see what tFB wisdom on them was before he pulls the pin.

He likes the sounds of my FlyRig 5 v2, but wants to have presets. For live use, not recording. He's found all of the YT vids and read all the reviews. 

Anyone own one or did own one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Never had the PSA2.0.
    I had the original rackmount PSA and it was great for its time.

I doubt it would hold up to modern modelling tech though.
    The plugin version is great for making drums and bass crunchy though.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 207
    I have a Fly Rig 5 V2, mainly used as a backup or when I'm feeling too lazy to bring a pedal board to a gig.

I also had the PSA2.0. It was rather underwhelming and wasn't very responsive to playing dynamics. The only way I can describe it is that it felt 'stiff' to play, unmusical and uninspiring.

In terms of analogue amp sounds, the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier mk2 is much more natural sounding and responding (althoughnot perfect and has no presets). The Origin Effects Revivaldrive is even better, but needs a separate amp sim.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend it. I picked one up very cheap new for Thomann last year for £159 and I don't think it was worth even that.

Although the Fly Rig does not have presets, I use it direct to PA sometimes with the SansAmp for clean/mild crunch sound (rolling down the volume know on the guitar will clean it up). Then the Plexi overdrive section for heavier rhythm and solo sounds. Then the boost either before the Plexi for more gain for solos, or after for a pure volume boost. That does me for any gig situation, but depends on what music your friend plays.

Like Octatonic, I also use the plug in version for bass when mixing songs. Counterintuitively, it gives the bass more definition.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I nearly bought one in the £159 Thomann deal last year but the lack of an effects loop put me off and, like others, I don’t have fond tonal memories of the PSA1 rack I had around 20 years ago. 
  • I have a Fly Rig 5 V2, mainly used as a backup or when I'm feeling too lazy to bring a pedal board to a gig.

I also had the PSA2.0. It was rather underwhelming and wasn't very responsive to playing dynamics. The only way I can describe it is that it felt 'stiff' to play, unmusical and uninspiring.

In terms of analogue amp sounds, the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier mk2 is much more natural sounding and responding (althoughnot perfect and has no presets). The Origin Effects Revivaldrive is even better, but needs a separate amp sim.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend it. I picked one up very cheap new for Thomann last year for £159 and I don't think it was worth even that.

Although the Fly Rig does not have presets, I use it direct to PA sometimes with the SansAmp for clean/mild crunch sound (rolling down the volume know on the guitar will clean it up). Then the Plexi overdrive section for heavier rhythm and solo sounds. Then the boost either before the Plexi for more gain for solos, or after for a pure volume boost. That does me for any gig situation, but depends on what music your friend plays.

Like Octatonic, I also use the plug in version for bass when mixing songs. Counterintuitively, it gives the bass more definition.
    Thanks, all.

I'm pretty happy with my FlyRig 5 v2, too. I've never had to use it in a failure scenario, but I've taken it to songwriting and practice sessions when I couldn't be bothered with an amp and full pedalboard. I think he likes it enough to be happy with the sound, but doesn't need the effects and would like presets, so is hoping the PSA 2.0 would do the job.

I've had a Simplifier Mk ii myself and only took it off the board because I liked the Carl Martin Ampster more for live use. I have an RDC on my board right now, for an overdriven Marshall sound. - but then into the Ampster. 

I'll pass back the info. He should really be on here himself, but he says he "doesn't do social media".