Wiring Mod - Will This Work?

What's Hot
GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
edited February 17 in Making & Modding
Just picked up a 2008 PRS SE Singlecut for my grandson to use when he visits. Also as a project guitar we can work on and learn together. Currently has the factory fitted 1 Vol + 1 Tone + 3 way toggle. I recently traded a Cream T Aurora that used 2 Vol + 1 Tone no switch, PU's were blended using the individual Vol knobs, worked brilliantly. Would the below produce the same result on the PRS SE? Thinking 3 x 500k Linear with 0.022 Cap on the tone Pot.
Thanks in advance to the electronics experts.
https://i.imgur.com/xeeBGT2.jpg
My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Yes, but you'll want a log pot for the tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    normula1 said:
    Yes, but you'll want a log pot for the tone.
    Thank you sir, much appreciated  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    It will work, but what you will find is that it's less easy to use than the stock arrangement, with very little extra in the way of 'blended' sounds - the usable range between 'both pickups full volume' and 'one pickup inaudible' is very small and difficult to dial in accurately - so really you still have three sounds, but turning the guitar up or down involves moving two knobs by the same amount instead of one.

However, it is at least easily reversible since the hole for the switch is larger than the ones for the pots.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Stick with Vol., Tone and three-way toggle selector switch.

If you want to get fancy, consider either a Freeway 3X3-03 six-way switch or a Schaller Megaswitch P (rotary version).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:
    It will work, but what you will find is that it's less easy to use than the stock arrangement, with very little extra in the way of 'blended' sounds - the usable range between 'both pickups full volume' and 'one pickup inaudible' is very small and difficult to dial in accurately - so really you still have three sounds, but turning the guitar up or down involves moving two knobs by the same amount instead of one.

However, it is at least easily reversible since the hole for the switch is larger than the ones for the pots.
    And also you'll have the dreaded "backwards wiring" effect on treble loss when you roll the volume(s) down on the guitar...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Many thanks for all the input....Think I'll leave as stock, several good reasons to suggest PRS got it right in the first place!
    The stock SE pickups leave something to be desired. The 8k A5 neck pickup isn't too far off the mark. The 9k bridge pickup is a bit gutless. 12 - 16k would be nearer to USA specs - especially if it has a ceramic bar magnet.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I would definitely investigate pickup upgrades and a push/pull coil split if you do want to mod it - it makes the guitar far more versatile. If you're going to do that I would agree with Funkfingers that a hotter bridge pickup would be a good idea, because they split better than lower-wound ones in the bridge position. (Although 8k-ish is fine split in the neck.) You can also use the PRS DGT resistor-split method to make the split sounds less thin and weedy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The stock SE pickups leave something to be desired. The 8k A5 neck pickup isn't too far off the mark. The 9k bridge pickup is a bit gutless. 12 - 16k would be nearer to USA specs - especially if it has a ceramic bar magnet.
    ICBM said:
    I would definitely investigate pickup upgrades and a push/pull coil split if you do want to mod it - it makes the guitar far more versatile. If you're going to do that I would agree with Funkfingers that a hotter bridge pickup would be a good idea, because they split better than lower-wound ones in the bridge position. (Although 8k-ish is fine split in the neck.) You can also use the PRS DGT resistor-split method to make the split sounds less thin and weedy.
    Shan't now be bothering with any wiring changes but will be swapping out the pickups, though not for something too hot. I've got a set of early Thomas Nilsen 2 wire Whiskerbuckers, 8.3k (neck) and 8.2k (bridge), looking for a home. Other changes will be Graphtech nut and Schaller locks from my spares drawer, plus a set of Vanson locking tuners (£15 on ebay).
    D'oh! The waffle I posted earlier about a 16k bridge pickup and fancy selector switches applies to SE Custom models.

I have a singlecut PRS SE Soapbar guitar with Fralin 10% overwound P90s. So, nothing to tap or split but no real need either. Your replacement humbuckers should be of similar output. In the language of Rolls-Royce, "power - adequate".  :)

If you or your grandson are hellbent on dual volume pots for blending, consider adding a third pot between the volume and tone pots. It will be necessary to reconfigure the control wiring. The revised signal path would be like an Explorer or Flying Vee.

pickup > individual volume pot > selector switch > master tone > output socket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

Or you could have Vol / Blend / Tone as an alternative to two vol pots.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    edited February 19
    D'oh! The waffle I posted earlier about a 16k bridge pickup and fancy selector switches applies to SE Custom models.

I have a singlecut PRS SE Soapbar guitar with Fralin 10% overwound P90s. So, nothing to tap or split but no real need either. Your replacement humbuckers should be of similar output. In the language of Rolls-Royce, "power - adequate". 

If you or your grandson are hellbent on dual volume pots for blending, consider adding a third pot between the volume and tone pots. It will be necessary to reconfigure the control wiring. The revised signal path would be like an Explorer or Flying Vee.

pickup > individual volume pot > selector switch > master tone > output socket.
    Think we've moved on to plan B, nothing fancy and use as much as possible from spares. So far we've spent just over £200 on the PRS & tuners, along with the bits already mentioned we also have a spare Levy cotton strap and a new set of Elixir 9-42's in the drawer. Apart from a bit of time and effort I can't think of any other expenditure needed to create a seriously half decent guitar.