NGD Daniels Guitars Pugilist

What's Hot
earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
edited February 17 in Guitar
Not strictly a NGD, as I've had this guitar for a few weeks now, this lovely looking and playing Pugilist from this forum's very own, Darren aka @Danielsguitars ;

Here's a picture of the front

Here are the specs, some measurements too.  I know they aren't for everyone, but I get a little geeky about these things, maybe others do too?

Specs
Neck - Obeche
Fretboard - Madagascar Rosewood
Body - Obeche
Neck Pickup - Mojo Firebird (A5)
Bridge - Mojo Staple Bucker (A5)
Wiring - CTS 500k in 50's wiring

Dimensions
Weight - a bit over 6lbs
Width at nut - 43.2mm
Width at 12th fret - 52.9mm
Width at the end of the fretboard - 57.0mm
Depth of neck at 1st fret - 22.2mm
Depth of neck at 12th fret - 24.0mm
Neck shape - C shape
Contours - front and back

How does it play?
The guitar body is a touch smaller than a Strat, it's quite a small instrument.  It sits well in the lap, and also good balance when played on a strap too.  I've got a late 60's SG which is about the same for it's weight, but the SG has terrible neck dive, no such problems with this guitar even though it's incredibly light.

One of the neck joint, this is one of my favourite features for this guitar.  I don't go to the high end of the frets that much, but it's very easy to do when I am around the 21st/22nd fret.

How does it sound?
The guitar is incredibly light, and acoustically it has a very interesting sound.  It's a lively instrument played acoustically, fairly loud.  @Mojopickups did a superb job with the pickups here.  The Staple Bucker is an interesting one, it's the humbucker take on on the staple P90.  It has superb clarity, I'd say it reminds me a little of a good AWG42 Alnico 5 Telecaster bridge pickup, that similar kind of bite and it works really well with my favourite fuzz pedals (eg Green Russian, Red Llama), which not all humbuckers do.
The Firebird pickup in the neck is a little brute of a pickup.  I've heard it compared to a Strat Pickup on steroids, but I'm not sure I agree with that description, I find the FB to have a lot of the clarity of a A5 Strat pickup, but with more everything (bass, treble, midrange).  I found it a bit much to begin with, it's very sensitive to string height.  Once I dialled it in, it's truly wonderful. 

The 50's wiring took me a bit of time to get used too, especially with the CTS pots.  I've said it before here, but I'm not the biggest fan of CTS pots.

Final thoughts.
It took me a bit of time to get used to the guitar.  Like most people, I was used to playing a Strat/Tele/LP/SG, and this guitar is very different to those.  The ergonomics of the body shape, and the neck profile, but once I got used to them, I can't really go back to my other guitars.  Plugged in, it doesn't really sound like any other guitar I own or have played, it has it's own character.  I will try to record something down the line and upload it.  Expect pointless Grouper/Earth drone worship at sometime!
I've been in discussion with Darren about ordering another one sometime down the line.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.  If not, then I hope you liked the pictures.

TLDR version - I love this guitar.
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    Pugilist eh?

Punchy....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    edited February 17
    That’s really nice. The neck heel looks fantastic.
    Just my type of thing this. I’m guessing out of my price range sadly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 131
    Congratulations, that's a great review of a fabulous looking guitar. Enjoy!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23030
    Nice to see an NGD thread with such a detailed review.
    earwighoney said:
    Like most people, I was used to playing a Strat/Tele/LP/SG, and this guitar is very different to those.  The ergonomics of the body shape, and the neck profile, but once I got used to them, I can't really go back to my other guitars.  
    I hope you will be able to go back to them in time, and also carry on enjoying this one. :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Nice to see an NGD thread with such a detailed review.
    earwighoney said:
    Like most people, I was used to playing a Strat/Tele/LP/SG, and this guitar is very different to those.  The ergonomics of the body shape, and the neck profile, but once I got used to them, I can't really go back to my other guitars.  
    I hope you will be able to go back to them in time, and also carry on enjoying this one. :)
    I can't, ever since I came up with this everything else feels, in shubs words like strumming a brick, I've got a Murphy lab in for a back refinish and it's bloody horrible now, heavy brick is a perfect description, lol.

I'll be making a new telepaul pugilist for me next.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Congrats @earwighoney. You're right, there is something special about the ergonomics on these
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    A wise choice. Darren's guitars are simply sublime.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • GemsdalsGemsdals Frets: 113
    Very nice 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3232
    Tried one of these yesterday, oh my word! Literally spent the drive home trying to work out what I could move on to fund one. The one I played at Darren’s @Danielsguitars had a wonderful full neck and sound wise was pretty much the guitar to end all guitars. The pickup combination of firebird and staple was sublime. I’m not sure I can afford one right now, but if I could I’d be driving straight back down to get one. Fantastic guitar if any one is looking up the Pugilist and tempted. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Tried one of these yesterday, oh my word! Literally spent the drive home trying to work out what I could move on to fund one. The one I played at Darren’s @Danielsguitars had a wonderful full neck and sound wise was pretty much the guitar to end all guitars. The pickup combination of firebird and staple was sublime. I’m not sure I can afford one right now, but if I could I’d be driving straight back down to get one. Fantastic guitar if any one is looking up the Pugilist and tempted. 
    I'm really pleased you like this model, it's not easy coming up with a new design but I knew I wanted an offset LP and that's what I've done here and I won't be playing much else from now on, it's lightweight, comfortable and sounds fantastic.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Here is Keith from Xander and the Peace Pirates playing his pugilist 59, what a great player.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C55gcEcseNA/?igsh=MWM2Y251cjM4bmJjYg==
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11932
    Here is Keith from Xander and the Peace Pirates playing his pugilist 59, what a great player.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C55gcEcseNA/?igsh=MWM2Y251cjM4bmJjYg==
    Wow - that's pretty incredible.  Better technique with a prosthetic forearm than most of us could dream of with the original equipment.

I must admit when the video first popped up I thought it was Dave Hill from Slade!