Help finding an obscure song

What's Hot
CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
I remember listening somewhat frequently to a Māori song that was on one of those silly Starbucks CDs. The CD was a compilation of songs about chocolate from around the world.  The Māori song was my favorite, it was mostly harmonized vocals (women singing) with percussion.  But now I can’t find anything about it or the Starbucks CD anywhere.  This was roughly 15 years ago, though I’m sure the compilation is a bit older than that.

Anyone have any idea about this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 639
    Is it a traditional song or modern music? I have a vague recollection of excitement in the New Zealand media about a song on a Starbucks album, but I cannot recall the details.
  • Litterick said:
    Is it a traditional song or modern music? I have a vague recollection of excitement in the New Zealand media about a song on a Starbucks album, but I cannot recall the details.
    Pleased to see someone trying to help rather than putting the mochas on it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    It’s just cultural appropriation isn’t it,  americanos making money out of the Māori
  • Jesus Māori & the wee donkey 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    Is this it?

Hawaiian rather than Maori…
    … and not from a Starbucks title…
    … but fits the description musically…
    … and from a chocolate-related compilation by Putumayo, whose CDs used to be sold in Starbucks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    There are a lot of Starbucks playlists on Spotify
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    barnstorm said:
    Is this it?

… and from a chocolate-related compilation by Putumayo, whose CDs used to be sold in Starbucks.

Yeah man, that’s it!  I forgot about the Putumayo part.  It was listed as Hawaiian, but at the time I had a student who was a linguistics genius and he said it was Māori so that’s how I remembered it.

Thank you!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    Cranky said:
    barnstorm said:
    Is this it?

Yeah man, that’s it!  I forgot about the Putumayo part.  It was listed as Hawaiian, but at the time I had a student who was a linguistics genius and he said it was Māori so that’s how I remembered it.

Thank you!

No worries! I just knew Teresa Bright is Hawaiian, but your student was right re. the song itself according to the description on the video. When I read your OP it made me think of this:

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 639
    It is a well-known song in New Zealand, written by Dr Hirini Melbourne. Here is a video with lyrics in Te Reo and English: