Bill Connors

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
This is one guitar dude who has escaped my eagle ear..........whaddya think and where to start?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    I only know Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, with Chick Corea. It was an important album to me, the first jazz/fusion album I really got into. But my enthusiasm for the genre didn’t last and I haven’t heard it for a long time. Loved it at the time though. I actually saw that line up of the band, which was terrific but if I’m being honest I always slightly regretted not seeing it a few months later, by which time Connors had been replaced by Al Di Meola, who I thought was a much more melodic player. Connors was fiery but he seemed a bit of a weak link in a line up including Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White. I know nothing of his subsequent career and could easily be doing him an injustice.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    He morphed into a Holdsworth clone from his early Return to Forever Days, though Step it is worth checking out

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLooF1k9qoOZjIw0ZTBHx3tsmN-fqVrcvw&si=gLUjXh3nRilvmA-M
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    I only know Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, with Chick Corea. It was an important album to me, the first jazz/fusion album I really got into. But my enthusiasm for the genre didn’t last and I haven’t heard it for a long time. Loved it at the time though. I actually saw that line up of the band, which was terrific but if I’m being honest I always slightly regretted not seeing it a few months later, by which time Connors had been replaced by Al Di Meola, who I thought was a much more melodic player. Connors was fiery but he seemed a bit of a weak link in a line up including Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White. I know nothing of his subsequent career and could easily be doing him an injustice.

Just bought it!. He sounds kinda like Gary Boyle from Isotope
    tae be or not tae be
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited February 18
    He made 3 acoustic LPs for ECM then went silent for awhile, came back on electric with "Step It", "Double Up" (both excellent fusion) and "Assembler".  After that another break then "Return" in 2004 on which he has a clean jazz tone.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    I've got a cassette of Stanley Clarke's self-titled second solo album somewhere, and I know Connors is on that, but I've absolutely no memory of what it sounded like....
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Philly_Q said:
    I've got a cassette of Stanley Clarke's self-titled second solo album somewhere, and I know Connors is on that, but I've absolutely no memory of what it sounded like....
    Good one. I still have that on LP.  Clarke, Connors, Jan Hammer, Tony Williams.  :)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    jdgm said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Good one. I still have that on LP.  Clarke, Connors, Jan Hammer, Tony Williams.  :)
    Listening to it now, just for the hell of it.  Some of it sounds like people farting around in a practice room and you wonder why they recorded it, some of it is really good.  Connors, when he's featured, has a really aggressive, distorted rock tone much of the time.  It's got a sort of timeless quality, it certainly doesn't sound like 1974.