Why are Gibson's chefs still baking Maple ?

What's Hot
I'm aware this was discussed over on MR. But was there ever a definitive answer to why other USA guitar manufactures have access to the rosewood that eludes Gibson ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Weren't Gibson in BIG trouble a while ago with the US Gov. for using illegally sourced wood.

I would assume there is some kind of limit, or clause, imposed by US Gov. preventing them from using their stock?
  • raulduke said:
    Weren't Gibson in BIG trouble a while ago with the US Gov. for using illegally sourced wood.

I would assume there is some kind of limit, or clause, imposed by US Gov. preventing them from using their stock?
    I thought the legal restrictions were lifted. hence the confusion.

• Gibson paid a fine to resolve it and got their wood back I think.  They use rosewood on Historics, and on higher end USA models, but use 'alternatives' on more affordable models.  They are still struggling with ebony though, new Custom Shop guitars are even having richlite boards, eg the Frampton LP Custom, and Les Paul Custom.
  • IIRC They settled, paid a fine and some sort of environmental/conservation payment. They got the wood back that was taken in the second raid (and made a limited edition run of guitars with it). 

So rosewood is back on the menu, but I bet they're being extra careful checking the supply chain and import codes used. 

Part of the issue was the difference between plain lumber and wood that had been processed in some way. 

The 'other' woods are still used on the budget models, no doubt as they have existing stock to use, but I guess they might continue with them to keep the lower models at the right price point. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    Not sure I care either way about Gibson using baked Maple - I've played one guitar that I loved and one that I hated with said fingerboards... I'm not convinced either way on them. I firmly believe that if the woods/pickups are in synergy, it doesn't matter what the woods are - good tone/playability isn't just dependent on one factor.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • it's funny how Gibson gets shit for using "baked maple" but when Suhr use it for necks it's some kind of boutique high end revolution in stability....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28884
    I think it's a tradition thing - lots of people don't want to do anything other than produce the exact same guitars they did in the 50s.

Suhr et al aren't hobbled by tradition in the same way.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    Anderson did it first, I think. For me, maple fingerboard looks wrong on a Gibson but I'd rather they use materials that are common and sustainable.
  • octatonic said:
    Anderson did it first, I think. For me, maple fingerboard looks wrong on a Gibson but I'd rather they use materials that are common and sustainable.
    I love a maple neck, maple board LP.  Or ebony board.

Yup, I'm a Zakk fan.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I have no real issues with baked maple, I've played one and it was fine. I would have rosewood if I could choose though.