Robin Wood Amps?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• That looks very like mine! Except yours is probably a little bigger. Awesome. I suspect you're why he now offers the Harvard... and probably the brown panel Princeton, too.

Yep, can confirm he seemed chuffed playing the Harvard 5f10 build to test it before shipping to me, and seemed to enjoy making it, so now it seems to be 'on menu'.  B)

I think the 5f10 late tweed Harvard and 6g2 early brownface Princeton are very similar circuits from my own research. There is a bunch of lore about that online that I had read before ordering from Robin Wood and going with the Harvard. (He never does circuits with trem or verb, so a 5f11 was out.)

If you search thegearpage and some other fora, there are a bunch of posts where people who know more than I do about amp circuits say that between 5f10, 5f11, and 6g2 are just a few filter cap values, something with fixed bias voltage, etc. (And trem.) So should sound similarish.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    edited February 26
    I think this is a great endeavour. I see more and more people upcycling or restoring old kit, clothes, furniture and such. I hope the trend grows and grows.

Every time I go to the tip I walk past the shipping container bit for old electronics, TVs and laptops probably at least half of which are still working.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    That looks very like mine! Except yours is probably a little bigger. Awesome. I suspect you're why he now offers the Harvard... and probably the brown panel Princeton, too.

I think the 5f10 late tweed Harvard and 6g2 early brownface Princeton are very similar circuits from my own research. There is a bunch of lore about that online that I had read before ordering from Robin Wood and going with the Harvard. (He never does circuits with trem or verb, so a 5f11 was out.)
    My Brownface Princeton has tremolo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks very like mine! Except yours is probably a little bigger. Awesome. I suspect you're why he now offers the Harvard... and probably the brown panel Princeton, too.

My Brownface Princeton has tremolo. 
    Cool - did not know he would do a trem!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    The tremolo on my amp is truly glorious btw too. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    That looks very like mine! Except yours is probably a little bigger. Awesome. I suspect you're why he now offers the Harvard... and probably the brown panel Princeton, too.

Yep, can confirm he seemed chuffed playing the Harvard 5f10 build to test it before shipping to me, and seemed to enjoy making it, so now it seems to be 'on menu'.  B)

If you search thegearpage and some other fora, there are a bunch of posts where people who know more than I do about amp circuits say that between 5f10, 5f11, and 6g2 are just a few filter cap values, something with fixed bias voltage, etc. (And trem.) So should sound similarish.
    Yeah that's more or less what I found too. But then every so often you get a post where someone says they sound "totally different!" LOL. (I've never tried any of them...)

He does offer trem on the brown panel Princeton now as @earwighoney rightly says... I might be misremembering, but I get the feeling it's a bit less complex of a circuit than the trem on some other amps, I think it only need half a 12AX7 (which is why it has a 12AX7 rather than the Harvard's 6AT6, I guess).

That being said it's meant to be a really killer tremolo, I think. I don't think the complexity necessarily makes it sound any better! Which @earwighoney confirmed  =)
  • This thread is causing me to want to call Tim and ask for an AC15 head surrounded by some pine...  :) and maybe a 6g2. Hah. I do not need more amps. (He tells himself.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    This thread is causing me to want to call Tim and ask for an AC15 head surrounded by some pine...  :) and maybe a 6g2. Hah. I do not need more amps. (He tells himself.)
    Yeah pretty much ditto!