Any Greco Experts?

What's Hot
Hi all

I'm looking at this Greco on Reverb and wondered if anyone can confirm if this is an EG59-85 or 59-100?

https://reverb.com/uk/item/74663961-greco-eg59-85-100-1983-sunburst

Thanks for any input.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would personally say 85 due to the sticker removal on the pickups. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will chime in though. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Having owned an egf-1200, egf-850, several eg59-50, egc57-60, eg60-180 and others I can't remember. I can honestly say it doesn't really matter.

The difference between dry82 and double tricks is that the later are a bit hotter.

They difference between an eg59-85 and a 100 is negligible if any at all. Greco are notable for having lower spec models with higher specs and in terms of finish evem the nitro on higher models had a fair degree of plasticizers.

In general I love grecos and have several. If you find a good one, it's usually a fairly nice guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I do wonder what the extra 15,000 Yen (~ £400 in 1983) would get you. I'm assuming the last number is the original price in Yen.
    edited February 22
    In general it would get you better pickups, some times less wood parts, both in the body and heel joint. Although a lot of times you end up seeing lower end models with the same wood count as higher end ones. It would also get you flame tops (but only when you get to 150/180 you start having solid flame, 85/100 is still veneer).

To be very honest with you, having had a lot of high end ones, my favourite so far has been a mint collection 1984 eg59-50. Because it is a plaintop model the top is solid and the guitar just sounds wondeful, I prefer it over a couple of custom shop gibsons I also own.

Long story short, don't get hung up on specs.

• brooom said:
    In general it would get you better pickups, some times less wood parts, both in the body and heel joint. Although a lot of times you end up seeing lower end models with the same wood count as higher end ones. It would also get you flame tops (but only when you get to 150/180 you start having solid flame, 85/100 is still veneer).

To be very honest with you, having had a lot of high end ones, my favourite so far has been a mint collection 1984 eg59-50. Because it is a plaintop model the top is solid and the guitar just sounds wondeful, I prefer it over a couple of custom shop gibsons I also own.

Long story short, don't get hung up on specs.

Thanks for the info, it does help.

I know I shouldn't get hung up on specs but............... if the 85/100 have veneer flame tops, it would make the one in question a lower spec than advertised as it has a plain top.
    I'm not sure if that is a plain top. I see flame patterns near the controls which are not present inside the control cavity, that would indicate a veneer.

The photos aren't great either, so I can't be sure.
  • Actually I can see the flame now I'm looking on a laptop.

Cheers.
    Something I also noticed is that the neck tenon, looks weird for a greco mint collection. Unlike anything I've seen. Usually the long tenon on thoss mint collections, especially from 83 has the same colour as the neck/back and has a straight edges tongue. That one has the corners cut like a gibson, not a a feature I've seen.

Also the control cavity is usually painted.
  • Mmmmm. As far as I can tell, the logo is correct, the pots and capacitors match other ones I've found online, not that that's a guarantee. 
    edited February 22
    Yeah the guitar looks ok to me, I've just never personally seen exactly that variation/kind of tenon. But there is some variation even within Greco mint collection models/years. The closest I've seen to that tenon was on a Eg60-150 and the tenon was stamped with the lacquer japanese character.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited February 22
  • Thanks for your help. 
    edited February 22
    I decided to open up my 84 today, and sure enough

https://flic.kr/p/2pzEbbe

It's funny my 83 eg60-180 looked nothing like this, nor did my 1982 transition eg59-50.

Anyway good luck with the sale, it's a cool guitar, but you'd need better photos. It might be an eg59-50 with a bit of flame.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooom said:
    I decided to open up my 84 today, and sure enough

https://flic.kr/p/2pzEbbe

It's funny my 83 eg60-180 looked nothing like this, nor did my 1982 transition eg59-50.

Anyway good luck with the sale, it's a cool guitar, but you'd need better photos. It might be an eg59-50 with a bit of flame.
    I took your advice, didn't get hung up on the specs, and bought it. I couldn't be happier. It definitely has a flame veneer. I would've liked to know which pickups it has but without any labels I guess I'll never know.

Cheers
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    If you have a multi meter I can compare them to the Screaming 82’s I have here.

Glad you like it, they are superb guitars :+1: 
  • photek said:

Hi. The bridge measures 7.52k and the neck measures 7.38k

Cheers
    edited February 28
    Well the ultimate thing would be to know whether the pickups come with a ceramic bar or an alnico one. But I would just enjoy it if I were you.

Scremin' pickup sound great to me, also you can always replace the pickup bar with an alnico III one (like a dry Z).

Enjoy it, they are great guitars.
  • naustin261naustin261 Frets: 8
    photek said:

Hi. The bridge measures 7.52k and the neck measures 7.38k

Cheers
    Another quick question. Would these come with Gotoh bridge and tailpiece? My does, very lightweight, just don't know if they would be standard or replacement.