I’m loving my Nordland ODR

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 707
Just spent an hour with it. 

Hard to get a bad sound out of it. And easy to tweak when you need something different. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I’ve been eyeing one of these for a while. My only concern is it has 6 knobs, which is about 3 more than I can handle on an overdrive pedal before I start getting option paralysis. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    I'm quite a nerdy person, so I always think more knobs = better, but it often doesn't work out like that so I often get better and more inspiring sounds from fewer knob boxes.

The knobs on this are pretty easy to understand in my opinion.

Lo-cut - just removes bass or muddiness (can depend on guitar/amp and the particular thing you are playing)
    ODC - is supposed to control compression, but the effect is subtle so I don't bother with it too much.

So that leaves you with 4.

Spectrum seems to add presence and low end so it's like an overall eq kind of thing. Mids self-explanatory.

I don't find myself fiddling with knobs much on this - when I do it's just 10 seconds and arrive at a satisfying sound.

Unlike my automatone - always seems to need a tweak or a nudge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
    I had this at the same time as an original ODR-1 and a Protein Drive. I now have the ODR-CC+ as well as the gold anniversary ODR-1.

Both ODRC and CC+ are awesome, awesome drive pedals, but I honestly felt that neither could absolutely nail my original ODR-1. I just couldn’t get the knobs into a configuration that sounded the same as my fav setting on the OG.

For this reason, I sold the ODRC, with frustration as I felt like the added knobs just made things more complicated than they needed to be.

My brother brought me the CC+ back from Germany a couple of years back, as I’d wanted the smaller form factor. It’s great, and perfect for my small board but it still doesn’t seem to match the ODR-1. For instance, the instructions say that the bass knob at 12 o’clock is the standard bass response on the ODR-1, but I have to have this totally cranked to get the same sounds. There’s a recent video on YT that shows this same thing. This might be impacted by how the other knobs are set, of course.

The gold anniversary ODR-1 with the external
    bass knob is the best iteration I’ve played in terms of sound and sensible, minimal controls that improve upon the original pedal.

Granted the components in the Nordland’s will
    be better, and likely having some kind of effect on the sound too, and in its own right it’s an absolutely killer OD pedal. But if you want “that” Nobels sound I’d highly recommend the gold anniversary edition
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
    @allen - apologies, wasn’t meaning dismiss or sound negative about your pedal or your experiences :) 

It is a stunning pedal and it’s great your loving it and having fun
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    @allen - apologies, wasn’t meaning dismiss or sound negative about your pedal or your experiences :) 

No worries. I didn't read it that way.