Atkin finishes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    yeah Im not overly keen on the exaggerated ones, I like the tinted/baked/torrified  colour of the top,  but not overly keen on excessive cracking -  yet to see one in the flesh to know for sure. 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    With Atkins it is important to see them in the flesh. The advantage of their approach is that each guitar is very much an individual. There's no template for the relicing (or indeed finishing style, pickguard or neck profile). So no two guitars will be alike. However this lack of consistency does mean its important to get one in your hands. I've seen some really heavy relics, which are too much for me, whereas mine are all very much in the light relic/Journeyman category. You have to look for the aging, which may only be apparent in certain lighting.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    ^^ So we come back to Bertie's op - with all these
     individualities how can you tell if aged or mirror finishes affect the tone?

Epsilon said:
    With Atkins it is important to see them in the flesh. The advantage of their approach is that each guitar is very much an individual. There's no template for the relicing (or indeed finishing style, pickguard or neck profile). So no two guitars will be alike. However this lack of consistency does mean its important to get one in your hands.
    doesnt bode that well for a custom order then........................... go to shop to try one,  yes I like that........order one - necks totally different !!!  WTF

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    bertie said:
    Epsilon said:
    With Atkins it is important to see them in the flesh. The advantage of their approach is that each guitar is very much an individual. There's no template for the relicing (or indeed finishing style, pickguard or neck profile). So no two guitars will be alike. However this lack of consistency does mean its important to get one in your hands.
    doesnt bode that well for a custom order then........................... go to shop to try one,  yes I like that........order one - necks totally different !!!  WTF

Not sure I understand this. Surely that is exactly why you'd want do a custom order, so that you can specify the neck profile? It's buying online from a shop where you run the risk of getting a spec you don't like.

That's why would only ever buy a guitar I'd actually played. Nor sure I see the point of the scenario you described above - if you liked the one in the shop why wouldn't you just buy that one?
    edited March 7
    Epsilon said:

Not sure I understand this. Surely that is exactly why you'd want do a custom order, so that you can specify the neck profile? It's buying online from a shop where you run the risk of getting a spec you don't like.

that's fine if you know, but I dont know the neck profile until Ive played it............... I want to play one,  and if I like it be sure thats what Im getting  - I dont tend to carry a vernier around with me 

I cant say "I want one a bit like this, and something like that..................."

Ive fallen foul of "not quite right"  custom orders before  -

That's why would only ever buy a guitar I'd actually played. Nor sure I see the point of the scenario you described above - if you liked the one in the shop why wouldn't you just buy that one?
    cos I want some additional custom additions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    Played both types, only ever bought aged ones, had 5, still own 2. I haven’t bought any of the relic’s ones, just aged. I think Atkins have improved as they have made more, the earlier ones were more likely to be gloss from what I’ve seen but I think the more recent ones typically feel more alive. How much of that is the finish, god knows.