Clean back of neck (satin/open pore) ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7246
    Mention was made earlier about "Scotch pad" and others warned against it.  Scotchbrite and copies of the product come in a lot of different grades / "grits".  The colours of the pads are different depending on manufacturer, so "green" or "white" are no definite indication of coarseness, but we are used to seeing pot scourers with green pads and they are pretty coarse.  I use Hosco "Shinex" pads in various grades for final fine sanding of wood, the various stages of wet polishing of lacquer finishes, polishing frets, cleaning fretboards, making high gloss necks feel a little bit less glossy, maintaining the satin feel of satin finishes that have become shiny with wear, and also use the finer and softer grades for cleaning stickiness off the back and sides of satin finished guitar necks.  Unless you fired away at it like a fiddler's elbow with the fine pads it is highly unlikely you would polish the satin sheen off a neck and make it glossy, or worse still abrade lacquer off with the coarser pads.  I just cup a piece of the fine grit pad in my hand and give the neck a couple of rubs up and down, then wipe it with a cloth soaked in naptha based lighter fluid.  That's enough to rub off stickiness from accumulated sweat or hand spooge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    BillDL said:
    Mention was made earlier about "Scotch pad" and others warned against it.  Scotchbrite and copies of the product come in a lot of different grades / "grits".  The colours of the pads are different depending on manufacturer, so "green" or "white" are no definite indication of coarseness, but we are used to seeing pot scourers with green pads and they are pretty coarse.  I use Hosco "Shinex" pads in various grades for final fine sanding of wood, the various stages of wet polishing of lacquer finishes, polishing frets, cleaning fretboards, making high gloss necks feel a little bit less glossy, maintaining the satin feel of satin finishes that have become shiny with wear, and also use the finer and softer grades for cleaning stickiness off the back and sides of satin finished guitar necks.  Unless you fired away at it like a fiddler's elbow with the fine pads it is highly unlikely you would polish the satin sheen off a neck and make it glossy, or worse still abrade lacquer off with the coarser pads.  I just cup a piece of the fine grit pad in my hand and give the neck a couple of rubs up and down, then wipe it with a cloth soaked in naptha based lighter fluid.  That's enough to rub off stickiness from accumulated sweat or hand spooge.
    interesting thanks - which grit do you use for that? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7246
    Usually the 800 one, but I've probably also used the 1,500 or 600 ones at times, because the shades can be very similar in some lighting.
  • Try some green or white scotchpad but go gently at first.
    I don’t use or recommend kitchen or pan scourers only genuine 3M product, green is considered equivalent to 600 grade, white around 12-1500 grade, the watchword is gently.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Try some green or white scotchpad but go gently at first.
    Yes, and try a flamethrower too. That will work.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    BillDL said:
    The ones with no fragrance are generally just "water wipes", in which case just use a cloth dampened with warm water.

Yep. Being a Grandad twice in the last four years has re-educated me in the current trend of Baby rearing. It had been over 30 years since the last Baby in the immediate family. Discounting many nieces and nephews.
    Every day is a Creche day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom