New Kings of Leon

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
    LPManic said:
    They have the most important thing in all bands - distinctive vocals and a great drummer. 

Always give them a listen but had completely forgotten about them. Fans is some tune.
    Full disclosure - I am not a fan - I've always thought the vocal gives the impression the songs are stronger than they are. 

And at the risk of being overly negative I've thought from the start with KOL that there is something off about the drumming....a better drummer than me might be able to explain what it is but there is something not right or different about it.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    LPManic said:
    They have the most important thing in all bands - distinctive vocals and a great drummer. 

Always give them a listen but had completely forgotten about them. Fans is some tune.
    Full disclosure - I am not a fan - I've always thought the vocal gives the impression the songs are stronger than they are. 

And at the risk of being overly negative I've thought from the start with KOL that there is something off about the drumming....a better drummer than me might be able to explain what it is but there is something not right or different about it.... 
    There is something different about it. He uses the drums as more of an instrument, more of a hook. You won't get a better drummer for KOL ... without him the band wouldn't be the same . I love his drumming and being a former studio guy and beat detective operator I know a bit about drummers
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
    Danny1969 said:
    LPManic said:

There is something different about it. He uses the drums as more of an instrument, more of a hook. You won't get a better drummer for KOL ... without him the band wouldn't be the same . I love his drumming and being a former studio guy and beat detective operator I know a bit about drummers
    Yeah - thats interesting @Danny1969 - I am not a big fan but my mate is so I've listened to their records from the start - I totally get what your saying - I think the drummers unique style/limitations has had a significant and formative effect on the bands sounds..... but to me there is something about his drumming that is just slightly off - I dont know how to explain it - maybe its just my taste. 
  • Danny1969 said:
    I've been longing for some new material
    Pretty sure that was their problem too.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27116
    The drummer is definitely a little unorthodox but he's a huge part of what makes them interesting. The drums are usually really hooky and often quite innovative compared to your average rock band
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Danny1969 said:
    And still are! From this listers perspective. They haven’t won me back with this effort. I thought it might come over better live - it doesn’t. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1089
    Iamnobody said:
    Danny1969 said:
    And still are! From this listers perspective. They haven’t won me back with this effort. I thought it might come over better live - it doesn’t. 
    Yes but they’re doing a lot of promo and seem very very happy with the album so it must be decent. 

I noticed that with Green Day recently too. They were everywhere on YouTube for a month or two. And their album is pretty strong (if Green Day by numbers).
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Man they've always had really great guitar sounds. Do I need a Matchless...? 
    Yes. 
    Yes, you do.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27116
    octatonic said:
    Man they've always had really great guitar sounds. Do I need a Matchless...? 
    Yes. 
    Yes, you do.
    AAARGGH!! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires