Am I mental for considering ditching my jcm800 and going full boss katana ?!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I’ve been using jcm800’s for decades.I love them. Currently I have the 20 watt one , I love that one too. 
However , I bought a boss katana to play at home and  I think that’s great too. Easy to use , sounds great , and does everything I could ever need and more .

I’m not playing in any bands right now , so looking at what gear I have and what gear I need. 

so with my jcm800 I generally need to have some kind of solo boost (something in the fx loop) a Wah , a delay , a drive or 2 . And obviously it’s heavy and all that. The issues I have are the same as everyone has with these , often needs a drive  in the front , no useable solo boost etc . 
And also it means carrying an amp head , cab, and flight cased pedal board.  

It occurred to me that the boss katana and the boss foot switch could do all of that and more .
I could get jcm800 sounds out of it (and probably pretty much anything else) and use a boss footswitch to give me a solo boost , and any other fx I’d ever have on a pedal board like delay , drive , and maybe even Wah, and I’ve got access to anything else I’d need too. And it’s lighter , and there’d be less stuff to carry round. I’d need a smaller board with a wireless and tuner on it and that’s it !! 

I have the 50 watt mkii combo and tbh I’d need to get the 100watt one , maybe the head / cab or the artist one. 

Is this a step too far ? Has anyone gone down this route ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    I had the Artist in for a firmware upgrade and some EQ tweaking. I can honestly say I thought it was one of the worse amps I have ever played through. it has a kind of synthetic cloak to the sound that you can't seem to get rid off no matter what you do. 

A decent solidstate amp and a few pedals is a far better and still cheap way to go. IMHO 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Yes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655

I’m not playing in any bands right now

I have the 50 watt mkii combo and tbh I’d need to get the 100watt one

Might I humbly suggest that sir is putting the cart before the horse?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Danny1969 said:
    I had the Artist in for a firmware upgrade and some EQ tweaking. I can honestly say I thought it was one of the worse amps I have ever played through. it has a kind of synthetic cloak to the sound that you can't seem to get rid off no matter what you do. 

A decent solidstate amp and a few pedals is a far better and still cheap way to go. IMHO 
    It’s odd… some people hear this, and some don’t.

I think they sound terrible too, although the Mk2 is less so than the Mk1, which I found unusably grating. (And the 100W less awful than the 50, although I haven’t tried the Artist.)

So add me to the ‘yes’ column.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Lets face it everyone ears are different which negates any tone talk on the wobblynet ..I can say this as I am very old and very  cantakerous
  • I had the 100w Katana head and through my Marshall 4x12 and I could get it pretty close to my 1959SLP.
    I used to use a 1959SLP with a Marshall powerbrake. Awesome sound but as you say, no solo boost.
       Now I use my old AC50 clean into my 2x12 or 4x12 cab and use pedals for the sound. Or sometimes I use a good valve combo if my backs playing up. This then opens up all possibilities.
    Here's a vid I put up recently, its a Vox vs Selmer comparison, but also shows the difference between using an attenuator vs pedals...not much in it really.
    https://youtu.be/KtFSClcPD8c?si=4LbP2GsljlLBiyMH
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    I'm a convert to my Helix, but at the same time I had the mini JCM800.

I sold the JCM as I wasn't gigging on guitar. But I still regret it - I still want to go on little jams occasionally and don't want to disassemble my rack, and although I don't often play clean, a good Marshall valve clean sound is still not able to be duplicated by any modeller.

I'm particularly annoyed with myself for selling it as now I have 1 kid at uni and 1 about to go I have no spare money to get another. Otherwise I would have bought another already.

I used it with a Weber Minimass attenuator to knock even the 5W down further and a Pedal Train Jnr with some fun pedals. It was an ace little rig.

Keep it.

I also had a Katana - it was no more than ok.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Yes. Don't do it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    You will probably hear a lot of difference in a band situation ....I would keep the Marshal
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    Don’t do it. I’ve had the Katana 50 (MkI), and agree with those that say that its ‘base’ tone grates somewhat - and that no amount of tweaking fully gets rid of it (admittedly I never tried hooking it up to a PC).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited February 23
    Personally I think the Boss Katana Mk2 100 1x 12 combo sounds brilliant as does the Matching Mk2 Head with built in speaker for practicing.
    The Artist combo and Head are even better. 
    Using the heads with different speaker cabinets makes a massive difference.
    I love mine.
    Ive also got an excellent Boss Katana Bass combo that also works really well with guitars.
    Using both the Boss GA-FC and GA-FC EX Pedals with them gives one some great options.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    I could get jcm800 sounds out of it (and probably pretty much anything else)
    Can you really? I spent two years tweaking the EQs, trying pedals, downloading other people's patches... all it took was one power chord through a 40W Marshall and the Katana went 'out the window'. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1131
    If you're not gigging at the moment, then the bulk and weight don't matter do they?

Not A JCM800 example, but our other guitarist gigs a Katana 100 when his Mesa Mark V is broken (often), and for rehearsals. It sounds OK, but not as good in either situation.

• I have the mini JCM800 head which lives round at my mate’s soundproof cave along with a Zilla 1x12

At home I have a DSL40CR, which is much easier to use at lower volumes, has a much better FX loop, wider range of sounds and, with a speaker swap, sounds very nearly as good for the JCM800’s range of sounds. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I had epiphany this evening - my youngest son has stolen my Boss Street Cube and was playing Master of the Puppets on a crunch setting - honestly it sounded ok you know kinda cool.

Then I plugged in to mess about and play along - nope thats why I play through my Orange all the time, ok is ok but more is more ;)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I am a helix convert. In hindsight i should have got the hx effects as I don't touch the amp modelling side really. 
    For as much as I love the power of the helix, plugging into the vyse head is special. I'd be the first to admit the helix is 90% as good it's just missing something. 

I've only played a katana at a practice room. I thought it was pretty good. I still think the old peavey stuff is better. 
    My suggestion is buy a second hand peavey for fifty quid, keep the marshall and get some cheap miab pedals. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7255
    DrJazzTap said:

I've only played a katana at a practice room. I thought it was pretty good. I still think the old peavey stuff is better. 
    My suggestion is buy a second hand peavey for fifty quid, keep the marshall and get some cheap miab pedals. 
    So do I.  I like my Katana 50 MkII, but I prefer the sound and simplicity of my Peavey Bandit Transtube 1x12 and the Studio Pro 1x12. They are both heavy amps though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    BillDL said:

I like my Katana 50 MkII, but I prefer the sound and simplicity of my Peavey Bandit Transtube 1x12 and the Studio Pro 1x12. They are both heavy amps though.
    Admittedly I’ve put a neodymium speaker in mine, but I wouldn’t have described the Studio Pro as a heavy amp even before. It’s an easy one-hand lift and I can walk quite a long way with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    I switched from a MJW to a Katana when I stopped gigging and it was fine but I noticed I got less interested in playing. I then switched to a DSL and for me it's a massive upgrade and I'm just always delighted with the sound rather than trying to constantly tweak because it's not quite there.

All that said I think the Katana is a great bargain for what it is and the FX are superb.

So my vote would be stick with the JCM800