NAD: '62 Fender Bassman

What's Hot
mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
So I took a jaunt out this afternoon to take 3 Boss pedals to get modified at Sweet Amps near me in Hackney, and ended up putting a deposit down on this absolute beast. 

1962, export model so runs on UK power natively. Sounds as good as it looks.

A blonde Bassman is a holy grail amp for me which I never thought i'd own, and I am absolutely stoked to acquire one. I'll be picking it up next week when I grab the newly modded pedals. My neighbours now have another reason to hate me...

If you're in East London I highly recommend Sweet Amps, Jim is a top bloke, and they have some really wonderful gear in there.
"Filthy appalachian goblin."
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Fantastic :). Genuinely one of the best-sounding amps ever made. It's in exceptional condition for one that age too, unless it's been restored some time ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    ICBM said:
    Fantastic :). Genuinely one of the best-sounding amps ever made. It's in exceptional condition for one that age too, unless it's been restored some time ago.
    New caps and a new back panel, but everything else original. I cannot explain how happy I am about it.
  • I'm little bit jealous.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I need to figure out whether to take the repro 2x12 he's got to go with it, or to run it through the 2x12 I use for my plexi... I don't really have room for another cab in here but it's tempting...
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    mo6020 said:
    Sounds as good as it looks.
    Creamy.
    Whistler said:
    mo6020 said:
    Sounds as good as it looks.
    Creamy.
    Exactly. 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1147
    Wow
    mo6020 said:
    I need to figure out whether to take the repro 2x12 he's got to go with it, or to run it through the 2x12 I use for my plexi... I don't really have room for another cab in here but it's tempting...
    It needs a 4-ohm load, so unless it has - or you can fit - 4/16-ohm switching, you'll need to run the plexi at 4 ohms too, which is OK but not ideal.

I was going to suggest @Modulus_Amps for a repro cabinet as I'm very happy with the one I got for my '73 Bassman 50, but it sounds like you have it covered already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 23
    ICBM said:
    mo6020 said:
    It needs a 4-ohm load, so unless it has - or you can fit - 4/16-ohm switching, you'll need to run the plexi at 4 ohms too, which is OK but not ideal.

I was going to suggest @Modulus_Amps for a repro cabinet as I'm very happy with the one I got for my '73 Bassman 50, but it sounds like you have it covered already.
    It’s the baby SV20 which has switching in it. I’ll have to check what the cab is because I can’t remember off the top of my head.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    That’s a great score!

Take the cab, too - you’ll regret it if you don’t. You’ll find the space!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    breadfan said:
    That’s a great score!

Take the cab, too - you’ll regret it if you don’t. You’ll find the space!
    I think I’m going to. Will just have to move some stuff around
  • Channel your inner Clapton and treat your neighbours to a rendition of the While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo. Beautiful!
    edited February 23
    Channel your inner Clapton and treat your neighbours to a rendition of the While My Guitar Gently Weeps solo. Beautiful!
    I think I can play the Clapton version, the Prince version on the other hand maybe not lol
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Wow, love it. I have fancied a blackface bassman for years. It is on the build list for the future.
    Wow, love it. I have fancied a blackface bassman for years. It is on the build list for the future.
    Not that I’m trying to enable you, but he’s got a blackface in there atm…
    tFB Trader
    mo6020 said:
    Ok I had a look. He has a blonde on the website but in a black headshell. is that they one you mean?
    mo6020 said:
    Ok I had a look. He has a blonde on the website but in a black headshell. is that they one you mean?
    Yeh I saw that - there were some other bassman looking things that maybe were bandmasters, actually. I think he said he’d just got another blackface in from the US, too. It was like Aladdin’s cave, man.  
    tFB Trader
    Some interesting stuff on the website for sure. Would be a dangerous shop to walk into with a credit card ha ha
    Some interesting stuff on the website for sure. Would be a dangerous shop to walk into with a credit card ha ha
    Yeh man, tell me about it  :#
    I had a couple of blackface Bassmans about thirty years ago - a '64 AA864 and a '65 AB165, slightly different circuits. The AA864 was the better for guitar and the AB165 the better for bass. I stupidly sold one and traded away the other, when I wanted a channel-switching guitar amp and a more modern, powerful bass amp. The AA864 produced probably the best guitar sound I've ever had on stage, at a rare gig where the soundman let me crank it - through an old Marshall straight 4x12" wired for 4 ohms with G12M-25s... just epic.

I finally fixed that mistake late last year - I bought a near-perfect all-original Bassman 50 from a member here, and it's great - I think it's actually better-sounding for bass than either of the older ones, and I haven't even plugged a guitar into it yet! I might be the only person in the 21st century to buy one purely to use as a bass amp :). Remarkably, it's powerful enough to comfortably cope with a quite loud band, as long as I don't mind a moderately overdriven bass sound. (I don't at all, it's a garage punk band.)