NAD: Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3975
Wow, it sounds epic…

This is replacing a Blackstar St James and despite initially liking the St James, I must admit that this destroys it. It sounds massive in comparison. The real reverb too…

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Nice! Enjoy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1147
    edited February 24
    Congrats. I got mine in a trade and had thought that given the choice I’d have gone for a ‘65 ri. I modded it to the 65 specs and I’ve slowly reverted it back to the ‘68’ component values, sounds great
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Really great amp, but if it has the stock Celestion V-Type then I would suggest fitting a more 'American' voiced speaker - I put an Eminence Li'l Texas neodymium in the one my friend had, it was much better. (As well as making the amp slightly lighter.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3975
    ICBM said:
    Really great amp, but if it has the stock Celestion V-Type then I would suggest fitting a more 'American' voiced speaker - I put an Eminence Li'l Texas neodymium in the one my friend had, it was much better. (As well as making the amp slightly lighter.)
    It does have the V type. I’ll see how I get on, but thanks for the advice. Lighter could be good!
    ICBM said:
    Seconded, I put a Jensen in mine
  • ICBM said:
    how does it compare to the blackface? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    paulmapp8306 said:

how does it compare to the blackface? 
    Slightly bolder and more midrangy, even with a replacement speaker. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype about the 'Bassman' channel though - yes, the tone stack values are from the Bassman, but apart from that the circuit is totally different and it sounds nothing like one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I think the older 68 customs had a resistor to set a minimum bass level but it doesn’t look like mine ever had one. It does have a different cap value in the tonestack, sounds fatter than the ‘vintage’ channel. I’ve added bright caps to both channels, but that might be specific to me, everything sounds dark in the corner of my living room - played it in another room the other day and had to turn the treble down to 4. 
  • Eminence GA-SC64 also worth considering- I have one in my 65 RI and love it 
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    Also have one and love it, but unfortunately hardly gets used. Anyone use one with an attenuator or cab sim? Would be lovely to get it working again.

I'm still trying to figure out whether I want mod mine for less noise; I'm just not confident though!
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    ICBM said:
    It does have the V type. I’ll see how I get on, but thanks for the advice. Lighter could be good!
    Congrats. I had one for eight years, and only sold it to buy a Marshall Bluebreaker which suits our band's need more.  Don't listen to the other guys, the V-Type is fine, especially if you like more mids than a Fender amp normally provides.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom