Not another 'which amp?'

What's Hot
AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
But here I am thinking about what to get...

As for background, I have a THR10C to practise with but want to break out my pedalboard again and would like a small combo to do so.

I'll be looking at something clean; Fendery or Voxy that will mainly have a Telecaster played through it. A bit of breakup would be nice, but it's probably going to be pre amp gain at the volumes it'll be used at so a bit of on board gain wouldn't hurt? Occasionally I'll be running a MIAB through it so is if it can handle that then perfect. 

Sounds I am after:
Americana, think Jason Isbell or Chris Stapleton. I do like a bit of the cleaner country sound too, Ala Brent Mason.
Alt Rock: Pearl Jam, Marshall style tones. Happy to use a MIAB pedal for this.
'Clean' clean: John Mayer et al. Will have a compressor on the board to help and a couple of drives to get a different flavour of JM.

I have been thinking about the Laney Cub, Egnater Tweaker, some type of small Fender, Vox AC10. That sort of thing. The Quilter combos have also caught my eye but there doesn't seem to be too many reviews on them. The Tone King Falcon is probably exactly what I'm after but well out of budget. I would like to keep it below £500 if possible, very happy to go used. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12395
    I have a Princeton 65 reissue and a super champ x 2. The Princeton is the best clean sound I’ve heard along with original silver face champ.  It works great with pedals particularly a peacekeeper and or a Timmy type.  

The scx2 sounds 90% as good and you don’t need pedals in case you want to take out and is loud enough for jams.  The clean channel sounds nice clean and works well with pedals and if I had to have one amp to do everything would be what I would use. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited February 24
    Ac10 has more of that midrange grunt you hear in Americana and would be my first pick. It's the opposite of that John Mayer clean tone though, unless you run an eq pedal in front.

Or something inbetween, a Supro or I've heard good things about the 68 custom deluxe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    I have a Princeton 65 reissue and a super champ x 2. The Princeton is the best clean sound I’ve heard along with original silver face champ.  It works great with pedals particularly a peacekeeper and or a Timmy type.  

The scx2 sounds 90% as good and you don’t need pedals in case you want to take out and is loud enough for jams.  The clean channel sounds nice clean and works well with pedals and if I had to have one amp to do everything would be what I would use. 
     A Tonemaster Princeton is on the list for sure, I might be able to stretch the budget. Wondering if the Quilter can do the Princeton thing plus a bit more. Not sure how well it takes pedals though, it sort of seems it sits between a traditional solid state amp and a modeller. 

Ac10 has more of that midrange grunt you hear in Americana and would be my first pick. It's the opposite of that John Mayer clean tone though, unless you run an eq pedal in front.

Or something inbetween, a Supro or I've heard good things about the 68 custom deluxe.
    Yeah I think the AC is more of the sound I'm after but would be happy to get that from a pedal if needed. That might be e bit more versatile. I love Brad Paisley's tone and know he is a big Vox and Dr Z user. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1509
    Vox are doing red versions of their amps at the moment… if I had to choose, I’d probably get another AC15 (more headroom than the 10). 

The Super Champ XD/X2 are great, nut while it’s true that you might not need pedals with it, the effects are not very configurable with the knobs and some of the reverbs are limited. I don’t normally use pedals with mine, but if I had to it would probably be to use a Hall of Fame and/or Flashback. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom