After an old school fuzz… Isley Brothers, Cream, etc.

What's Hot
StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3675
edited February 24 in FX
My current fuzzes are a Boss FZ and a TC Rusty Fuzz but I find them more like fuzzy distortions…

I am after the more obvious old 60’s 70’s fuzz sound… don’t need to pay boutique money.

What has that simpler, raspy tone?  Summer Breeze, Strange Brew…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Ernie was a Big Muff and a phaser into a clean amp I believe.

As I understand it Clapton said he never used a fuzz pedal, the sound of Strange Brew was overdriving the mic pre-amps on the mixing board. The Hudson Broadcast is, I think, closest to this in theory. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been looking at Big Muffs but still seem a bit polite. The JHS 3 series with a bias control to get it more sputtery looks good.  

Anyone used one? 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 783
    PM'd 

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Driving the nuts off a couple of Germanium transistors (OC 71, OC45, AC128) would probably be close.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tempting me to make one :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Neilybob said:
    PM'd 

Thanks. 
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 268
    edited February 25
    The JHS 3 series with a bias control to get it more sputtery looks good.  

Anyone used one? 
    I've got one and I've been really happy with it. Like you I was after an old school fuzz and it achieves it for me.

The bias control makes things spitty and spluttery and goes from a subtle little bit to a gated rasp.

I think it's essentially a silicon Fuzz Face circuit, and it sounds as such to me but with a slightly different tonality. With the 'fat' switch off, it's a more cutting than a Fuzz Face to my ears.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    I’ve just been browsing random pedals on Etsy, there’s a fella in Devon who is essentially doing the silicon fuzz face thing in a wood and metal pedal: 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1562118427/fuzz-handmade-guitar-pedal-by-kiplonti
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    edited February 25
    I’ve just been browsing random pedals on Etsy, there’s a fella in Devon who is essentially doing the silicon fuzz face thing in a wood and metal pedal: 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1562118427/fuzz-handmade-guitar-pedal-by-kiplonti

Oh! I always found "wood" semiconductors had far too high an impedance and "metal" far too low!
    Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7012
    Ram’s Head Big Muff for the Isley Brothers.  

Cream era Clapton does sound very fuzzy - especially Disraeli Gears - but EC is adamant that the only pedal he used at that time was a wah.  The fuzziness is coming from overdriving the mic or the inputs on the recording console.  

As @EricTheWeary has noted, a Hudson Broadcast is your best bet.  Or you could really lash out and get an Aclam Woman Tone.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6708
    Cream tones are very easy to get with a germanium treble booster into a cooking amp. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    Ernie was a Big Muff and a phaser into a clean amp I believe.

As I understand it Clapton said he never used a fuzz pedal, the sound of Strange Brew was overdriving the mic pre-amps on the mixing board. The Hudson Broadcast is, I think, closest to this in theory. 

I thought Ernie Isley used the Roland Jet Phaser (a fuzz & phase in one unit). 
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    I take it back. Big Muff it was. As this GuitarWorld article points out, the Roland wasnt available at the time. That said, the Jet Phaser does totally nail that sound. 

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ernie-isley-that-lady-guitar-tone
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    'Who's That Lady' by the Isleys was a Big Muff into A Maestro Phase Shifter.