Jaw-dropping (for the maths geeks)

What's Hot

I was following up to a point, then my brain just couldn't keep up (and a lot's fallen out of it since university...).

Very, very clever.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Very nice.
    I like how they alluded to the Zeta function at the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    -1 x -1 = head scratching time.

Imaginary numbers are cheating, if you ask me. Like quantum mechanics, if you think you understand them for longer than twenty minutes then you are almost certainly wrong.

The animation may have included some event horizon and Uncertainty Principle mathematics but I'm not sure precisely when. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • That was great animation. I did Maths A a very long time ago, i was fun, damn radians were a struggle, but I don't recall covering e much. I never realised how it could all interconnect.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26787
    That was great animation. I did Maths A a very long time ago, i was fun, damn radians were a struggle, but I don't recall covering e much. I never realised how it could all interconnect.

Yeah...I actually whooped a little when Euler's Identity came up. I remember our lecturer breaking our brains with the proof of Euler's Formula, then he plugged in Pi and everybody in the lecture hall just sat there open-mouthed at how simple and brilliant it was.

So...it was quite nice that I actually remembered any of it, 27 years later.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28740
    I liked the explodings.

(it was jolly clever, at least the bits I could follow). 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11990
    That was great animation. I did Maths A a very long time ago, i was fun, damn radians were a struggle, but I don't recall covering e much. I never realised how it could all interconnect.

Yeah...I actually whooped a little when Euler's Identity came up. I remember our lecturer breaking our brains with the proof of Euler's Formula, then he plugged in Pi and everybody in the lecture hall just sat there open-mouthed at how simple and brilliant it was.

So...it was quite nice that I actually remembered any of it, 27 years later.
    it's always been y favourite, they should sell T shirts showing it
  • ChoivertChoivert Frets: 64
    Will the sequel be about the Quarternions?
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3069
    I never got beyond O Level maths so I find this stuff mind boggling, but I'm also in awe of it, and also anyone who understands it.

It's like that whole Mandelbrot Set stuff - mind boggling - but absolutely awesome. Spiritual almost, like an afternoon on Shrooms!  But it's mathematics. Bloody awesome.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021
    Mandelbrot's are awesome but Romanesco cauliflowers are fucking amazing... & taste way better  ;)

Romanesco Broccoli Roman Cauliflower Seeds V 247  eBay
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1607
    If you stop the original video at around the 9min mark - that pretty much describes my A Level maths and (briefly) Further Maths experience.

Always felt it was unfinished business. Been trying to help one of the offspring who's entering final year at college with her stats for an Economics course, and failing miserably. Wish we had the privilege of better teachers back in the day who could have added a little bit of interest to inspire us and help make sense of it all for us, and  instead of trying to drill us on solving exam questions by rote :(

Kinda late now though :)
  • edited March 7
    This reminds me of a guy we were talking about the other day, whom we worked with years ago. He'd bullshitted about having previously being a Ramp Team Leader at the airport for another company, so they gave him the job at our place (the ramp TL is the person who supervises the team doing load up of a passenger airliner's bags, containers and cargo; something which is critical for the weight and balance so the aeroplane can be trimmed properly for flight).

On the face of it, it's not a particularly difficult task - follow the pre-calculated load plan's instructions and get your team to put various bits in specific forward or rear holds to make sure the thing balances, thus flies okay, plus load the stuff in a sensible order, i.e, transfer bags in last so that the transfer bags get offloaded first at the destination, etc. But the thing which makes the job tricky, is that you are offloading the inbound bags and putting the outbound stuff on, in sometimes as little as 25 minutes before it departs again, so it's a pressure job because of that and you often have a lot of issues to deal with whilst also supervising that task, such as locating missing bags, getting mystery bags and sorting out what they are, bags checked in at the gate arriving late, problems with passengers, the aeroplane having technical issues, or fueling issues, or your ground equipment not working and so on. Resolving all these other issues at the same time as loading the thing properly, is what makes it a hard job, so having bullshitted that he'd done it before was always going to end up badly. Anyway...

A typical load up for (at the time he was there) a Thomas Cook Airbus A320, would have been 30 bags in the forward hold, 70 bags in the rear hold into the wing, and 15 bags up the tail end hold. So he does this, then he asks someone to get him a calculator so he can add up the total bags on board (and no, I'm not joking). Another time, he had the load plan upside down and did this same load up the wrong way around - keep in mind the load plan on those flights was literally a simple line drawing side view of an aeroplane with boxes drawn on it where the holds were, so apart from the text on the load plan being upside down, the picture of the aeroplane was upside down too, which is a bit of a clue.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24450
    Er...  That's very worrying!  What checks normally occur after loading to make sure the C of G isn't way off ?  Tell me there's something in place to catch a misloaded plane before it takes off and kills everybody !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming