Returned FX PEDAL stuck in Japanese Customs ?

What's Hot
lentolento Frets: 116
I recently bought a Sustainer from a Japanese Music shop, online. I paid Customs duties and Tax on receiving it here, but a couple of days later I decided it wasn't what I wanted.
The shop agreed for me to return it at my expense, of course. I attached a Commercial Invoice to the package stating that it was Made In Japan and was a Return.

After arriving in Japan it is now held up in their Customs and has Duties and Tax applied to it.
I've been told it is the responsibility of the receiver to pay these charges
Now the shop is arguing that it shouldn't have any charges applied to it and basically refusing to pay the said charges - about £30 or so.

Has anyone had any experience like this, and is the shop in the right ?
Thoughts and any advice appreciated ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27066
    edited February 26
    I agree the shop should be liaising with the customs guys, because it’s a return, and also because of the locality & language. 

If it was faulty and they won’t help, then I’d be looking at a chargeback via the credit card. I’d also be quite open with the shop about this! 

As it’s just a preference thing then I think that might be a bit harsh
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    If there's nothing wrong with it, I think it's fair that you cover the return costs, including the tax.  Otherwise the shop is effectively paying you to try out the product.

When I am in the same situation, I usually sell locally any stuff I don't want. It's less hassle for everyone.

If they were Spaniards, on the other hand, I might take a different view just for fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9551
    Sadly, it’s the buyers responsibility for customs.
    Hope it works out 
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Never thought this would be a problem but I avoid distance shipping just incase.  Sadly it may have been cheaper to re sell it here.