IR request

What's Hot
IR request.   Can someone 'lend' me a recommended V30 / Marshall style IR pretty please?

I'm trying an Ironball SE (mail order) - a big feature being the onboard IR loader......but compared to my old Ironball (no onboard IR loader) and CaptorX, it sounds a fizzy mess.

These are roughly the settings I am using on the CaptorX. Before I send the amp back......or buy a pack of hundreds of IRs and attempt to audition them.......it'd be wonderful if someone had an IR that they thought would work nicely.....particularly at high gain.

*Pretty please*
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IR request.   Can someone 'lend' me a recommended V30 / Marshall style IR pretty please?

I'm trying an Ironball SE (mail order) - a big feature being the onboard IR loader......but compared to my old Ironball (no onboard IR loader) and CaptorX, it sounds a fizzy mess.

These are roughly the settings I am using on the CaptorX. Before I send the amp back......or buy a pack of hundreds of IRs and attempt to audition them.......it'd be wonderful if someone had an IR that they thought would work nicely.....particularly at high gain.

*Pretty please* 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24698
    There are free ones available from various IR creators in a variety of cab types.

Celestion even do a free one:

Free Impulse Response Download – Cenzo Townshend IR Mix (celestionplus.com)

Bunch of free ones here too: The Best Guitar Impulse Responses in 2023 (Free And Paid) (makemusicwith.me) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also - if you search Free IR Vintage 30 or V30 on Youtube you'll get loads of demos up and many have links for downloading their free ones.
  • I’ve got the York Audio Bogner 4x12 vintage 30 pack. I could send you something from that if it helps. Just a note on the Ironball SE. I briefly owned one. I purchased it from Andertons. It was second hand. It ticked all the boxes for a direct cab-less solution but the main problem I had with it was the IR loader. It just didn’t sound good to me. I had just came from a Revv G20 and the difference was night and day. The Revv G20 has the captor reactive load built in.

I’m not sure how Engl have implemented the IR section on the amp but it didn’t feel like a reactive load to me, it felt very stiff and as you mentioned ‘fizzy’. It didn’t last a day and I sent it back. PM me you email and I’ll send the IR file through.
    Spectre Sound have a free pack if you sign up to their spam list

SMG 2022 V30 IR Giveaway - Spectre Digital

• Hi, yes, I fear I'm going to have exactly the same experience.  I actually would have bought the SE originally but it took forever to get released and I got the CaptorX in the meantime.  I love the idea of have an all in one solution and clearing the noisegate, delay etc off my board.

Even if the IR does sound better, on first impressions - and they are normally the ones that count - the eq balance of the two channels doesn't work as well for me as the original Ironball.....the clean channel being too bright....
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2921
    edited February 26
    Try the York Audio Mesa 212 pack, it's $1 and sounds great. I just use Mix 1 of most of the York packs I have, they all sound really good to me. 

https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-212-v30-limited
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    We really ought to have a sticky in the digital section for Free IR files. 

What do you think, 

@digitalscream ;
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8792
    Threads merged, and moved to Digital and Modelling
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Hi all, it's going back.....it's a close call though. 

If I hadn't been subjected to the rubbish 3 IRs that came with the amp, but instead the York Bogner IR kindly provided by @kennedydream1980 ; and the $1 York pack of Mesa IRs recommended by @TTBZ ;(I tried the first three) I might have got into programming all the options and meshing it with my pedalboard.

As it is I went back and forth with our bass player as the impartial set of ears, and the original Ironball through the CaptorX sounded better.  I didn't try the SE through the CaptorX......the point of the SE was to replace it and a few pedals on my board.

I also found the clean channel too bright compared to the gain channel with the shared EQ.  

I do think the Ironball SE is pretty amazing for the pricepoint and features and form factor......but it didn't quite make it on the key point I wanted it for - to replace the CaptorX (portablility / set up time / complexity / points of failure.....

I remain stunned that that Engl can produce such great amps yet provide such horrible IRs!!