Is my Pedal Power 2 buggered?

rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
My Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 is about 20 years old now and has never let down, each of the 8 outputs can deliver 100mA at 9vdc. Outputs 5 and 6 can be changed with some little dip switches to provide 200mA at 9vdc for pedals that have a higher current draw (i.e. Line 6).

I borrowed my mates pedal that takes over 100mA so i switched it over to the 200mA setting but the pedal didnt work. I checked the voltage with my multimeter and it read nearly 18vdc, it seems to be providing double the voltage rather than double the current! When i switch it back it measures 9vdc as youd expect, i measured all the other outputs and they seem ok.

Does anybody know whats going on here, is my PP2 buggered?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3027
    edited February 26
    Are you absolutely sure you changed the correct dip switch? I’ve made this mistake with mine before trying to set them upside down in a dark venue. I thought I was powering a Boss DD500 at 200Ma but I got it wrong and was doing odd things.

Double check the dip switches carefully!
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Quick up date to help anybody else who may have a similar query, the alternative outputs 5 and 6 on the older PP2 are actually 12v unregulated 200mA max, so if you measure the voltage without a load on it then you can easily see 18v+. As soon as you connect a load it pulls the voltage down towards 12v. The newer PP2+ have a 9v regulated output rated 250mA, so this should maintain a 9v supply.

Worth noting as you could fry your 9v pedal by applying 12v....