Anyone tried Starlink?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1098
    Seems to be a few discounts going on...

Costco had it at the same price but with 2 free months sub, but now out of stock online.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    wibble said:

Costco had it at the same price but with 2 free months sub, but now out of stock online.

A bit of digging shows that there's now a version3 of the system that is available in the US, so I guess these discounts (which you can also get direct from Starlink) are removing old stock of the v2 before the v3 is released over here.

If that Costco deal comes back then that's a right bargain that would probably tip me over into actually buying it.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1098
    Is v3 going to be better than v2 or is it a cost saving redesign?
    wibble said:
    Is v3 going to be better than v2 or is it a cost saving redesign?
    I've done a bit of reading about it and the main benefit seems to be a better router (with wifi6), and uses a standard network cable for the connection to the dish rather than a specific proprietary one.
    The new dish itself is different too with a slightly wider field of view and no longer has an inbuilt motor to rotate/tilt the dish. It's also allegedly better against "rain fade" where the connection is worse in heavy rain.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    BigMonka said:
    wibble said:

A bit of digging shows that there's now a version3 of the system that is available in the US, so I guess these discounts (which you can also get direct from Starlink) are removing old stock of the v2 before the v3 is released over here.

If that Costco deal comes back then that's a right bargain that would probably tip me over into actually buying it.
    Potentially available in your local Costco store, subject to stock etc.. someone posted it up yesterday in a group I'm in.
    Just ordered it! The Costco online offer of half-price equipment with 2 free months came back and it seems like the cheapest way to give it a try.
    I'll report back when its arrived and I've worked out where to set it up and route cables etc.