D'addario XS strings ?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27099
Anyone using these and can comment on how they compare with Elixir Nano and Optiwebs for electric? 

I'm generally still happy with Elixirs but fancy trying some 9.5s on a couple of instruments and Elixir don't make those! 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27099
    Noone?! :( 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They are nice strings, but I wouldn't pay extra for them over green elixirs. The XS are a little looser feeling but the coating is similar. Can confirm they last for ages
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4837
    edited March 1
    Don't like Elixirs at all, I don't get the point as I don't like new strings really anyway so making them newer for longer is not for me!! The XS trial pack I had felt just like my normal D'Addario strings which was great, but I don't think they lasted any longer than the standard ones either. They seemed to tail off like the normal XLs. D'adds are the best strings for me, they wear in well and sound great for ages, I have zero desire for the new string plink for longer

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9646
    The original D’Addario coated strings (EXP) had the outer wrap coated before it was wound around the core, in contrast to Elixir where the complete string was coated. D’Addario now offer coated strings both in the EXP style and fully coated like Elixirs. A helpful guitar shop employee once explained to me which was which (XT is like EXP, XS is more like Elixir), I would prefer XT, although I think I’ve tried both and couldn’t tell much of a difference.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited March 1 tFB Trader
    I'm a convert, I put XS on all my guitars now. They definitely feel slinkier than normal XLs and not as plasticky as Elixir.

I can't comment on longevity.
    Sounds like they’re worth a try. Will get a pack or 2 and see how they are 
  • They sound and feel just like standard D’Addario EXL’s to me. However I didn’t feel like I was gaining any extra string life with them. So for me I didn’t gain anything from paying the extra £’s for them. So I just went back to standard EXL’s. 
  • Interesting reading. I love my Optiweb 9s on 25.5" guitars, but prefer 9.5s on my 24.75" scale guitars which you can't get in Optiweb. Previously just been using conventional EB Primo Slinkys on those but the longevity isn't the best. Might give these D'Addario XS 9.5s a shot...
    Interesting reading. I love my Optiweb 9s on 25.5" guitars, but prefer 9.5s on my 24.75" scale guitars which you can't get in Optiweb. Previously just been using conventional EB Primo Slinkys on those but the longevity isn't the best. Might give these D'Addario XS 9.5s a shot...

This is where I am right now. I use 10s on GIbson scales but the ones with Bigsbies don't feel as compliant as the stoptail guitars, so I'd love to get a middle ground. 

I'm actually rather surprised Elixir has never done a 9.5 and 10.5 option. 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They sound and feel just like standard D’Addario EXL’s to me. However I didn’t feel like I was gaining any extra string life with them. So for me I didn’t gain anything from paying the extra £’s for them. So I just went back to standard EXL’s. 
    Coated strings will wear while you are playing them but won't degrade while you are not, so they are useful on guitars that don't get played often
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I've got a bunch which I regret buying - they're too smooth and zingy sounding. 
    I find the more coating, the worse strings sound. 
    D'addario XT feels and sounds vastly better to me.
  • Sounds like they’re worth a try. Will get a pack or 2 and see how they are 
    Did you ever give these a go in 9.5s? If so, how did you feel they compared to the Elixirs? 

Got pay-day coming so thinking of spoiling myself with a set or two for my 24.75" and 25" guitars.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    edited March 28
    Having played D'adarrios forever, I'm a recent convert to stringjoy and can't recommend them highly enough. I think they do a 10.5 and 9.5 set. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4837
    Fishboy7 said:
    Having played D'adarrios forever, I'm a recent convert to stringjoy and can't recommend them highly enough. I think they do a 10.5 and 9.5 set. 
    How do they compare price and longevity wise bud? I'm a confirmed D'adds for life guy but a change could be good!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Sounds like they’re worth a try. Will get a pack or 2 and see how they are 
    Did you ever give these a go in 9.5s? If so, how did you feel they compared to the Elixirs? 

Got pay-day coming so thinking of spoiling myself with a set or two for my 24.75" and 25" guitars.
    Not yet! But I did have a lend of a mate’s EVH with 9 gauge XS fitted. They’re nice enough under the fingers 
  • I happened to buy a pack of XS and a pack of Nanowebs to try recently as a shop was selling them off. I restrung two guitars with them last week and personally preferred the D'Addarios. Too early to comment on longevity. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3576
    I had one of the trial sets. I binned the XS's and went back to Elixir. After very little playing, the d'addario strings felt like they were behaving as regular uncoated ones would i.e. feeling rough. I also had trouble keeping them in tune (seemed to need more stretching in than Elixirs). 

Given the amount of people who seem to like them, maybe d'addario have subsequently made improvements.
  • LesorpheeLesorphee Frets: 16
    I prefer the feel of the XS to the Elixirs, little bit smoother, but the Elixirs do seem to last longer, particularly in storage - I put a guitar with XS away for a few months, and there was slight corrosion on the unwound strings, whereas the guitars with Elixirs stored in the same place (and for a longer period) came out looking much the same as when they went in.