Import 2 point Strat Trem

Recently bought a Strat copy Eastcoast Guitar from GuitarGuitar, its really quite good (the neck is very good) but the trem is a horrible thing, bent steel saddles ( I hate them) and thin block) . I'm going to change it but the availability of 2 point trems in 52mm spacing is almost non existent. So I'm either looking for suggestions as to where to find one( I've tried the usual suspects like Northwest Guitars and Armstrong etc) or should I plug the holes and re-drill for a 56mm post spacing? It'll be easier to find bridges.
I was almost tempted to go the whole nine yards and route a floyd but cant be arsed with locking nuts
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    I had to source a 52mm bridge a while back for my mate who had totaled the trem arm collar, the only place i was able to find one was Aliexpress

Comes in at about £50 delivered atm LINK it's not the seller i used (donlis) as they seem to be outofstock of the 52mm atm.

might/not be worth it ?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    isn't the Wilkinson 2 point trem that size ?
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    all the wilkinsons i saw were 56mm, more searching needed, ta
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14453
    Callaham does two-point vibratos in several width fittings. Thus, you can have the pivot knife edges following one convention and the string spacing following another.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Don't the Wilkinsons have a flat knife-edge for one of the pivots that would accomodate a variety of spacings?
    So even if it's 56mm centre to centre, you might get away with 52mm.
    possibly but looking at the fixed pivot point it sits outside the string spacing line so I'd be worried that it will bugger up the string alignment. I'm currently just going to fit a better block and some nicer saddles, I rarely use the trem anyway so the better saddles and block will make the biggest improvement in feel I think
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7275
    edited March 4
    Jeremiah said:
    Don't the Wilkinsons have a flat knife-edge for one of the pivots that would accomodate a variety of spacings?
    Sadly not.  I had the same dilemma recently and found that the Wilkinson Trem bridges with the flat knife-edge at one side will only accommodate post spacings from 55 to 60mm.  I ended up boring out (enlarging) the existing post holes, plugging them with hardwood (an old maple snooker cue), and and drilling new ones for one of Northwest Guitars' unbranded bridges with push-in handle and solid saddles and 56mm post spacing.  The Northwest Guitars unbranded bridges are pretty good quality.  Some of the parts numbers match those used by the Guyker brand.  I'm not sure if Guyker is the OEM for other brands or whether they are supplied by the same OEM as other retailers like Northwest.
    BillDL said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Sadly not.  I had the same dilemma recently and found that the Wilkinson Trem bridges with the flat knife-edge at one side will only accommodate post spacings from 55 to 60mm.  I ended up boring out (enlarging) the existing post holes, plugging them with hardwood (an old maple snooker cue), and and drilling new ones for one of Northwest Guitars' unbranded bridges with push-in handle and solid saddles and 56mm post spacing.  The Northwest Guitars unbranded bridges are pretty good quality.  Some of the parts numbers match those used by the Guyker brand.  I'm not sure if Guyker is the OEM for other brands or whether they are supplied by the same OEM as other retailers like Northwest.
    This is likely what I’ll end up doing, I’ll see how the block and saddles work first though